ipad and tethering..will this work?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by medicscott, Apr 21, 2010.

1. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

so i have my iphone 3G 3.1.2 which i use to tether with my macbook...works great. its not mywi, just a carrier update hack from a repo site.

im looking to get an ipad today, thinking i can just get the wifi one, and still tether like i do with my macbook? is this correct?

really dont wanna get the 3G ipad...thanks guys.

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

If it works with your mb it will work with the ipad. same concept

3. the_fellowship macrumors regular

Isn't the iPhone tether over bluetooth or USB? The ipad would need wifi tether which is not available unless u jailbreak and use an app like MyWi

4. aperry macrumors 6502a

5. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

yeah...i connect via usb to my MB to tether...im going to try that out first.

after reading alot of threads, looks like everyone is tethering via mywi fro 10$ with no prob...last resort.

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I don't think you could tether via the USB, just get the MiWi, they have a free trial is you wanted to try it out but it's easily worth the $10.

7. aperry macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you cannot tether an iPad to an iPhone that uses the carrier update method. I'd be surprised if the iPad had the bluetooth networking profile enabled for this. But having said that, I haven't tried this myself and I definitely could be wrong.

Works brilliantly with MyWi.

Aaron

8. nsorrelle macrumors member

MyWi isn't a last resort..it's the only option. You can't tether over usb to the iPad. You have to do it over wifi.

9. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

well im buying the ipad later today, and will try out my method, and ill let you guys know on here. if not ill def do the mywi...10$ compared to a couple hundred getting the 3G + another monthly fee for 3G!!

10. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

THe iPad will NOT tether via the USB (especially since there are no connectors to connect the iPad to an iPhone) nor will it tether via bluetooth. The only connection withthe current iPads is via a WiFi access point. The MacBook will tether from USB, bluetooth or WiFi. Without jailbreaking and assuming that it is a carrier hack only, the iPhone will only tether via USB or bluetooth. THe iPhone will not natively create a WiFi access point. Only jailbroken programs like MyFi will create access points that the iPad can use to connect.

11. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

Good luck with the hack. I know the $10 was well worth it for me to use my wifi ipad anywhere I go and not have to give up my iPhone.

12. nsorrelle macrumors member

There isn't even a cord to try "your method". Your method simply will not work. There's no argument here. The iPad, currently, can ONLY get internet over wifi. Getting wifi from an iPhone requires you to jailbreak it. There are no alternatives beyond buying a 3G iPad.

13. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

14. nsorrelle macrumors member

It sure would be great if it was an option. Wifi tethering can drain your phone's battery pretty quickly.

15. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

16. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I'm wondering how many threads there is going to be on this subject!

17. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Cinemagic is right. I tried it via bluetooth. It worked great with my MBP but will not work with the iPad. It won't even see the iPone with bluetooth. I had to jailbreak and use MyWi. Let me tell you, best $10 I've ever spent. Works great and my battery life is not that bad. I don't use it all day, but when I need it, it works without any problems. The carrier hack will not work.

18. emmablee macrumors newbie

At the risk of irritating someone or many ......

I am thinking of buying a wifi iPad when they finally arrive in Australia because our data plans are usually ridiculous. I have never jailbroken my iphone but think I need to so I can use the myfi app. Can someone point me in the right direction to learn how to do this please. Also, what are the risks involved?

Thanks

19. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

What firmware is your iPhone on? As far as I'm aware you probably won't be able to jailbreak if you're on the current firmware (at least now now).