Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Where the Air Force sends me
I don't think many on this forum have heard of OnLive. It is a video gaming service that you can play on a Mac, PC, I've seen it played on and iPhone.

The actual hardware of the iPad does not matter. All you need for OnLive to work is a Broadband connection. It's servers do all the work for you. It is 100% possible to play the new Call of Duty or Crysis or Assassins Creed on the iPad at FULL, yes FULL, resolution.

Connect a PS3 or the official OnLive controller via bluetooth and your ready to go...

Please google OnLive and you will realize the potential of gaming on the iPad...

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I don't think many on this forum have heard of OnLive. It is a video gaming service that you can play on a Mac, PC, I've seen it played on and iPhone.

The actual hardware of the iPad does not matter. All you need for OnLive to work is a Broadband connection. It's servers do all the work for you. It is 100% possible to play the new Call of Duty or Crysis or Assassins Creed on the iPad at FULL, yes FULL, resolution.

Connect a PS3 or the official OnLive controller via bluetooth and your ready to go...

Please google OnLive and you will realize the potential of gaming on the iPad...

Slightly off topic, but would it allow for Mac users to play games not normally available in Mac version?

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Slightly off topic, but would it allow for Mac users to play games not normally available in Mac version?

Yes! Mac, PC, iPhone, ipad, anything with a broadband connection can play. They have the computers that are actually running the game... think of your iPad or Mac as your TV. Its doesn't actually run the game.

OnLive is a video game STREAMING service basically. They say that they have made it possible with little to no lag.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Wow, that really kills the definition of a gaming rig. This would be awesome on an iPad, or on anything, really. I can think of a few MMO's I'd love to play on iPad. The thing is, wouldn't the UI's of those games have to be altered for a touchscreen device?

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Wow, that really kills the definition of a gaming rig. This would be awesome on an iPad, or on anything, really. I can think of a few MMO's I'd love to play on iPad. The thing is, wouldn't the UI's of those games have to be altered for a touchscreen device?

I doubt it, but if the developer wanted to I'm sure it's possible.

You could hook up a bluetooth keyboard or controller (PS3) so they wouldn't have to be remade. Plus, I personally would want a controller for a online multiplayer game like Call of Duty.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
You guessed wrong, I am much older :( And I do agree that games may be played with everything (including dolls). It's just iPad brings absolutely nothing new to the table as far as gaming is concerned. Sure there are certain games which can benefit from touch interface (like chess) but as you said, lack of controller is hard to overcome.

A controller is an issue for some games like shooters, sports games, etc but the iPad/iPhone excel at other genres like strategy games.

Games that are traditionally controlled with mouse like Plants vs. Zombies or tower defense games like Fieldrunners as well as games that take advantage of a touchscreen like Angry Birds are terrific. The fact that these games do not have realistic graphics does not discredit them as good games. Just because you do not enjoy them does not mean they are not quality games.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
I think you have a pretty narrow vision of what a good game is.

Traditional games controlled with traditional controllers are decent, but I never play them. I just don't enjoy using controllers.

Rich rpg games work much better on a full-fledged computer where you can have hot keys, multiple screens, etc.

The iPad is such a different platform, its going to spawn a whole different class of games that can't be played well on any other system. You have to stop thinking of games in today's terms.

Look at a game like doodlejump. Sure, not a "serious" game, but one of the most popular games out there. For a lot of people (like my wife), its about the only game they play. Try playing that on any other traditional platform. Same goes for something like rolando, etc...

The iPad might not take over gaming, but for many great games, it'll be the only platform that works... Or the platform that works best.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Are there any possibilities of a controller connected via bluetooth (PS3) that would enable true gaming on the iPad through services such as OnLive?

The iPad could literally change mobile gaming forever...
An iPad, a stand for the iPad and a controller or KB&M mouse for the iPad (depending on the game)... why not just carry around a small notebook?

The iPhone is carving out a niche for mobile gaming because it's something that's already w/you, nestled in your pocket, by default. The iPad can't be seamless like that. It's another device to carry around just like a DS or PSP.

Lethal

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
An iPad, a stand for the iPad and a controller or KB&M mouse for the iPad (depending on the game)... why not just carry around a small notebook?

The iPhone is carving out a niche for mobile gaming because it's something that's already w/you, nestled in your pocket, by default. The iPad can't be seamless like that. It's another device to carry around just like a DS or PSP.

Lethal
Old thread lol

You could pull out a net book, but where is the sexy :apple:Ness in that! I'm a fanboy, sorry.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Here is the substance. Quality of game experience depends on the realism of the graphics. This requires the best GPUs humanity can come up with and those use a lot of power. iPad, on the other hand, is a mobile device designed to display simple pictures. Yes one can play games on it and it might be useful when traveling but that's about it.

Which is why the Wii sold so poorly right?

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Lol damn that wii!

Anyways, the most powerful CPUs and what not would be doing all the heavy lifting on the servers. The iPad is just the "monitor" your using.

Onlive needs to come tom the iPad...

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Graphics have almost nothing to do with MAINSTREAM game success. It's about accessibility, interaction and the fun factor. Wii is a distant last in graphics in the console world. Yet, it's accessible, easy, intuitive, interactive and a runaway success. The market for video gaming is huge, only a small portion of it is the hardcore gamer.

ash =o)

Nobody plays their wii :p

Having said that iPad could be a great gaming machine with buttons. I have alot of trouble using the screen as a virtual joystick. For other types of games, however iPad should excel. For those oldschoolers like me take a look at Frotz. Graphics arent the best though :)

GoHack

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
Palmdale, CA
That's where we disagree I guess. I'd say the quality depends on the software infinitely more. Instead of needing more power-hungry hardware, it would be a lot more "futuristic" to create software that can do more with less stress on the hardware.

Since you are concentrating only on one product, it makes it easier to write a program specifically for it.

When it comes to what you can do, w/the hardware that you have, a lot can be done.

With memory, the more that a programmer has to play with, the sloppier and inefficient the programs become. Of course it takes longer to write a program for a system w/limited memory vs. one w/lots of it.

With the graphics, of course we'll never see the same level that a present generation, top of the line, nVidia or AMD gpu can put out, but still, a pretty good level could prehaps be done.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I can't imagine OnLive having low enough latency for action games. Love to be proven wrong of course...

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm a beta tester for OnLive. Even at its infant stage, it actually works pertty damn good. Lag is really unnoticeable for most games even including FPS. Crysis and handful of the latest games look awesome but there are some minor pixelation at really fast paced scenarios. If they make an app for the iPad alongside a bluetooth controller, I have no doubt that this tech will succeed. But future of gaming? IDK maybe a strong competitor against the console giants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.