iPad and the iCloud problem

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MissyTX, Jul 23, 2011.

1. MissyTX macrumors newbie

While I like the idea of the iCloud, I have run into a BIG problem. This morning I installed 5 new apps on my iPad and my 7 year old came to me and showed me that all of my apps were on his iPad too. It turns out that when I put something on my iPad, it is automatically loading on my 7 year olds iPad and if it is an iPhone app, my 11 year old's iPhone. Everything my 11 year old puts on his phone now goes on all of our devices. My 7 year old said he had been reading stuff I was writing in my notes because it was showing up on his iPad. He said my pictures were going to his iPad too, but I haven't checked that. I got my own iPad so I could keep my stuff private. My kids don't need their own iTunes accounts. How can I change it so they don't get the stuff I am doing sent to their devices? If there is not a way to change it, this is going to be a big problem. :eek: HELP

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If they are all linked to the same account then obviously you are going to have everything synced across all your devices. That is how iCloud works. To solve this problem, give your kids their own accounts.

3. MissyTX thread starter macrumors newbie

But by doing that I have to pay for the same app 3 times if we all want it. That is ridiculous. I hope this cloud thing was not just to get parents to create iTunes accounts for their small children. There has to be or needs to be some way to set a device NOT to accept what is being put on other devices.

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Is there not a setting in iCloud not to sync apps to a particular device?

Simply deactivate aspects of iCloud on devices you do not want items synced to.

5. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

ICloud is not even due until Fall. How can this be an iCloud problem?

6. DefBref macrumors 6502

You can change the settings on each device to decide what they do or do not sync.

Goto settings and store to setup your sync settings for music, apps and books.

7. shandyman Suspended

well technically you're not meant to share your account with other people, family or not, so really you're breaking the T&C's. it's like buying some software like office and wondering why you can't put it on your laptop and your kids laptop with the same code.....

8. DefBref macrumors 6502

From apple store t & c's

So its not against the rules as long as she's 'in control' or owns the device.

9. shandyman, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

shandyman Suspended

The T&C's state you don't share your account, therefore the kid's device goes against that one as the kid uses it.

in sharing it, you're no different to people that download stuff illegally.

iCloud is not the problem, Apple's device is doing what they designed it to do, if you're too stingy, that's your problem, apple won't make exceptions for stinginess....

:p:D

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Under Settings > Store, disable the iCloud features on the kid's device(s). I'm not sure if that will stop your stuff from going to the kid but still sync to you, continue syncing to the kid but not sync to you, or both. But you can test by downloading something.

If that doesn't work, you've got to make new accounts for them. It's the only way. I'm not justifying it, I'm sadly just telling it like it is. If you're uncomfortable with the kids having anytime access to purchase stuff, I think I remember there being some "allowance" feature, or something like that on iTunes. Maybe look into that. Find a way to be able to just give money towards their account without them being able to purchase stuff with your card.

11. shandyman Suspended

well in our family, my cousins who are 12 and 14, have their accounts set up by their parents, the cousins don't have the passwords and the parental controls have been used to lock down the relevant bits, therefore not a probelm ,they have their own accounts with own apps, the parents control what apps they get, since that's the whole point of parental controls...

12. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

iCloud and the iTunes store can be separate. Give each person their own iCloud but all use the same Apple ID for the store on their device. Just choose not to automatically download new apps across devices. Problem solved.