IPAD and video files

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kinsale, Feb 27, 2010.

1. kinsale macrumors newbie

Will the iPad be able to play video files via VLC or similar software?

I download sports events (soccer) and watch them on my MBA. Do we think the iPad will be able to play popular video file formats? mkv avi etc?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Highly doubtful. Apple wouldn't like that at all.

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Video playback support will more than likely be the exact same video formats as the iPod touch/iPhone.

Why would you expect anything different?

4. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

There is an app called AirVideo that does. I use it on my iPhone and I'm pretty sure it will be one of the 99% of files that work on the iPad.

The kicker is one has to have some sort of server to be able to house the files. AirVideo then streams and converts in real time just about ANY video file. It works great! My iMac at home is always on and it acts as the "server".

5. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Whatever the iPad won't play natively Handbrake, etc. will convert to an acceptable format. It's not any different from playing video on a Touch or iPhone.

7. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I just bought the app after seeing this post. This works great! Makes life easier from having to convert everything to go on the iPhone. The only draw back is having to use wifi. Very cool nonetheless.

8. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

I would bet the iPad will play the same files that the iPod's and iPhone's play. So don't count on being able to play very many formats.

9. ukyo229 Guest

those are containers used mainly by pirates. from which AVI is complete trash

soccer is being stored in crappy pirate-containers? wowness

10. kinsale thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't regard TV shows or sporting events the same way as movies and music. It's no different than when someone gave you a video tape of the game you missed. When/If the BBC or Sky Sports want to offer me a subscription in the USA then I will go that route. Until then I will continue to download sporting events.