IPad and Vista Remote Desktop Setup

Discussion in 'iPad' started by robo, Apr 6, 2010.

1. robo macrumors 65816

robo

I'm thinking about picking up an IPad to control my Lenovo laptop at work wirelessly though my router. How much of a pain in the ass is this to do?

Sorry, I'm not a PC guy...:eek:

Peace

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

From the reviews it looks Like the log me in app is pretty darn good. I would go with that and then set it up on your laptop and use it that way. Would be the easiest way.

3. jumpdesktop macrumors newbie

Jump Desktop

Try http://www.jumpdesktop.com if you have an RDP-capable edition of Windows (all versions except Home and Starter editions).

It's an universal application - which means it works on the iPhone and iPad. Easy setup and can stream audio from your PC too.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

The biggest issue I see is if that laptop may move from place to place and you would still want access. With RDP you would have to configure the connected router for every location where the laptop is connected. That's not going to work very well if it's sitting in a hotel room somewhere and you can't do that. (It's still not convenient to do port forwarding on any router.)

Logmein works regardless of what kind of connection the latop has or where it's located. Logmein will also reconfigure itself based on the iPad or Laptop connection speed. The laptop communicates with the Logmein service and then when you need to connect Logmein tells you what it takes to get to the laptop. You can also sit down in front of any PC or Mac browser and use logmein from there without the need for any special program.