iPad and website video playback

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OW22, Oct 21, 2010.

1. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Have a question for you guys.

Have sampled the iPad and really love it. Brings the whole web browsing experience to a totally other level.

But I need an answer on this. I'm a big NFL fan and their website is probably the site I visit the most and I love watching their extensive video content. All the game highlights, interviews, NFL Network programs etc

I have an older iMac, one of the first Intel ones from 2006 and it's coming to the end of its life. It's slowing down and I'll get a new one. The thing that's really taxing that Mac is the NFL videos. When I'm watching them now, it really nails my Mac now and the videos are choppy and the fans in the iMac go into overdrive. My broadband connection is very fast so it's not that.

Question is, can the iPad handle those OK? If there is anyone browsing this post on an iPad, can you go to http://www.nfl.com/videos and just click on any video and see if it works for me? Would be much obliged.

Also options to get better quality Videos on the site by using the "Akamai NetSession Interface". I wouldn't say that is an option for the iPad.

2. prot0type macrumors regular

Had no problems playing video from nfl.com

Yesterday I was reminded as to how well the ipad can handle streaming video, provided that the conditions are optimal on both ends of course, when I had the ipad set up on the kitchen counter as I prepared and ate lunch and did the dishes. All the while no stuttering as the Apple keynote streamed without a hitch.

3. OW22 thread starter macrumors 6502

OW22

Sweet! Thanks for that. Thats very impressive performance. You just sold me an iPad. :)

4. moomog macrumors member

Hi

I totaly agree. I too streamed the Apple keynote and was amazed at how well the ipad coped with it. Just been to nfl.com and watched a video and not even a hint of a stutter or lag.

Just get one

5. OW22 thread starter macrumors 6502

OW22

Great stuff. Ordering one from the Apple Store here and will get one of those cool Dodocases as well. Can wait to watch the games on TV on Sundays and have the iPad updating me on other scores via ESPN's score tracker etc!

6. moomog macrumors member

Go Browns!!

7. OW22 thread starter macrumors 6502

OW22

Haha! Patriots all the way baby!