Ipad and YouTube HD?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by munkees, Apr 15, 2010.

1. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I was wondering does the iPad show youtube HD content in HD, This might sound like a dumb question, but the :apple:TV does not allow HD youtube (sucks seeing the :apple:TV is connected to HD TV's).

could somebody please verify this for me please.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Yes the iPad does. :)

3. Cander macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell it streams you the highest quality version available.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

There's 1080p available on YouTube, and no, the iPad does not get that resolution streamed to it.

Actually, there are a lot of pitfalls with the iPad app, fer example you can't do any advanced searching with it.

In addition, there are plenty of videos that just don't show up with the iPad search that do with the web search. I need to tinker with this more to see if there's something I'm missing (doubt it, but a possibility) or if YouTube isn't offering 100% of their catalog via the App.

5. Cander macrumors 6502

Oh. My bad.

6. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

I would not expet 1080P but at least 720P on the iPad, I was wondering if the iPad was using some mobile youtube like the :apple:TV, and iPhone, which delivers content at a much lower standard, on an iPhone it really makes no difference because of the size of the screen, but the iPad, it should make all the difference.

7. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

It does display the 720 p YouTube video. The YouTube app is pretty slow for some on the iPad. I think that is dependent on the wifi speed. You always get the highest quality available on the video being watched, there is not a way on the iPad to select the quality you want to watch.

8. TheXIIIth macrumors member

You're right about the missing videos. Several of my favorites appear "grayed out" with zero views and unwatchable on the iPad.

Two other things that I noticed:
    On the web/flash based YouTube, if you happen to catch a video that had just been uploaded you can still watch it but at a really low resolution while it's being rendered on the servers. The YouTube app on the iPad other hand won't allow you to watch that same video until it's finished rendering.

The other thing that I noticed is that not all of my subscriptions get listed on the YouTube app for the iPad.

9. Eye4Desyn macrumors 6502

+1, I know this is slightly off topic - but this is my #1 and only peeve with :apple:TV - the inability to watch HD videos from youtube. Makes no sense whatsoever:confused::mad: Especially since I have mine tied off to a 42" Vizio with 1080i - go figure! Come on Apple - let's get it together with a firmware update. Ok, back on topic.

10. kayloh20 macrumors regular

YouTube doesn't offer their entire catalog on the iPad or iPhone/iPd touch. It's no fun, considering most of the music videos are on the off-list.

11. MikeCase macrumors member

MikeCase

Ah, it annoys me that you can't select which quality to watch. The 720p takes a noticeably long time even on short, less than 1 min videos.

12. bindle macrumors regular

The reason why a lot of videos aren't available on the iPad is that the content owners set the option to disallow embedding and syndication to mobile devices - and so the YouTube player won't play or list these videos.
    Playing around with the API, a search for "lady gaga" (bear with me) had 25 out of the first 50 results were blocked from viewing on mobile devices (had the 'syndicated' permission flag set to 'denied').

And I agree it is a bit annoying that it seems YouTube on the iPad automatically streams the highest quality video - I'd usually be happy with a lower quality video if it streams faster. Maybe an option in a future os update?...but some HD videos do look stunning

13. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

You can look at standard Resolution YouTube videos by using the Desktop option in Safari.

14. EPAPRESS macrumors newbie

YouTube Downloader HD

[​IMG]

Maybe one way to solve that probleme a little:

Using YouTube Downloader HD on your PC then downloading all 720p material and sending it back to iPad maybe over iTunes...

iTunes must embed them before.

Link:

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

Greetings form Germany!

[​IMG]
    Manfred

15. Jophster macrumors member

Not sure if that is supposed to be a joke? You certainly can't watch em on the desktop version!

16. cualexander macrumors 6502a

The desktop version most definitely works on the new iPad. I'm using it right now. You click the desktop link in the bottom corner.