iPad announcement in October?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eahdawn, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Eahdawn macrumors member

Many tech websites (TechnoBuffalo, podcasts etc.) are saying that the 10 inch iPad will see an update in October. Is this the case? I'm buying an iPad in the next week, but hearing this makes me want to hold off. What are the chances of this happening? Thanks fellas! :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If anything is released this year, it would be an iPad mini IMO
    And that is still far from certain

I wouldn't expect the full iPad to get an update until next year on its regular cycle
    Tech sites thrive on making claims and getting hits on their site

3. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I think they are talking about the possibility of an smaller iPad ( 7'' instead of regular 10") I don't think Apple will be releasing any updated iPad. Buyer's guide shows it's only been 136 days since the iPad 3 released so don't wait if you going to buy an iPad 3, only wait if you want smaller iPad. :)

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Why would Apple update the iPad when it's still by far the best tablet available? You only do that when your competition is hot on your tail.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I'm in the belief that we may possibly see the iPad 10" updated with the newer 30-pin port to match the new iPhone and supposed iPad mini. I also believe of this does happen, the normal iPad will not receive any other spec changes.

I'm not convinced of this, but if Apple wants to aggressive push their new port standard this would certainly help.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh, I thought people said Apple don't do that. The innovate anyway regardless of the competition. :confused:

Now you are saying they only innovate when they need to, feeling under pressure from the competition :confused:

7. Eahdawn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

I can see what ZZBottom is saying coming true myself, but a change in the dock connector wouldn't warrant the wait. So yeah, I'm gonna bite the bullet!

Now, my next dilemma; Black 32GB WiFi or Black 16GB WiFi + Cellular? Since I'm in Ireland, and there is no 4G, the 32GB is what I'm leaning toward. Will probably end up getting that one. Thanks again fellas! :)

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

Nah that's not what I was implying. Any company whether it's Apple or whoever usually sets certain release schedules. One of the primary reason is to have consistency in a products delivery system.

If the iPad 3 which was released a few months ago was going to be replaced with the iPad 4 in a few months you might find developers foregoing ipad 3 apps for iPad 4 apps.

You might also see potential buyers sit on the fence more because they know in a 6 months they'll be looking at a new machine. Resale value could drop as well with more systems being introduced.

Every company weighs that when they mfg and sell a product. They also look to maximize their investment as prices for components typically fall within the products life cycle. A better example would be Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PS3.

If you have your competition on your back chewing away market share that's when companies tend to release and update quicker to get back market share.

Again using the example of Microsoft. They released the original Xbox in 2001 and released the Xbox 360 in 2005 far ahead of schedule. It paid off for them as they took market share form their rivals.

So it's not an Apple thing to quickly release products it's how businesses usually operate. If there is no pressure on them they'll just do things their way until they are pressured to counter their rivals. :)

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's not really true. Apple staggers product releases so that they maintain quarterly sales performance with some consistency. If everything is released at the same time, aside from manufacturing logistics, it leads to a quarter of huge sales followed by three lower-performing quarters. And the pressure on Apple is to maintain slaes growth, less from what rivals are doing and more of their own creation. If they don't release new products to entice current customers to upgrade their sales will fall.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

So Apple has released an iPad within 12 months of the prior model. I didn't know that, thanks.

11. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

They stagger the release of the iPad with the release of the new iPhone, iPod, macbook etc.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Never said that, and I'm still not buying that it will happen now, for the reason't I've already mentioned. If it were to happen it would be an odd strategy precisely for the reasons that Apple already staggers product introductions, that is if a quarter is "too good" it screws up the following quarters. Now a bad quarter here and there won't hurt a company but an imbalance of product releases can be really problematic.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No.

Notice a trend?

There could be a miniPad launch. Or as one poster mentioned, I would believe a modification to the iPad3 with the new 19in connector. Piss off many, but could be strategically smart.