iPad App, Book or Magazine Wishes

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ChocolateApple, May 6, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

2. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

I hope that Magazines realise that $5 for an ipad version of there publication is never gonna "save magazines"!
    People won't be able to get there heads round it! Why when they can subscribe for a year to the same magazine for $20 and have it delivered to there door would they pay $5 an issue for the same thing?! :confused::confused:

3. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Someone needs to take a short term loss to make it work long term.

It's possible of course that one development house could make a "Magazine" App, and then the magazines themselves could just provide them with the content. Then issues could be purchased using inApp purchasing. That would be cool.

As for which magazines. I'd like to see FHM and Empire (that would be cool, with Video interviews / film trailers, etc)

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Unless this changes, Magazines and newsprint will be left out of the iPad revolution:eek::rolleyes::apple:

5. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I'm more likely to buy a book than a magazine, so this doesn't affect me as much... but I think a good idea for the publishers may be to include the iPad issues of the magazine free when the normal subscription is purchased. Many already do that with their websites or with online versions of the magazine issues. You have to pay for the digital content, but it often gets included free if you already purchase the printed content. That may be one way for them to go, as it also keeps people buying their original printed magazines which is still their prime product.

6. intelligentipub macrumors newbie

Would you say pay more up front and then not have to pay again? If you think about it Apple still get a 30% cut of every $5 so the magazine publishers have to up their prices.

They are still having to create the content and also a new way of distributing it.

If a magazine was shorter but for less money, say .99 cents an issue would you buy it?

7. aluren macrumors 65816

There should be an iMagazine store on Apple that sells subscriptions and single issues like Zinio, and at a discounted price. They can use iAds to make up the difference.

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

My wish is for Zinio to suck less so I can start helping to save the publishing industry.

9. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

BBC Focus magazine would be great. Ooh and Top Gear.

10. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I a very FaceBook fashion "I like this"
    :D

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

12. sonvolt10 macrumors newbie

Still awaiting the full NY Times app and the New Yorker Magazine app. :(

13. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Excuse me if this is already available, I'm still a bit of a noob.

I spend way to much money buying british magazines at like $15-$20 a pop. I understand that this is an import price, but if I could get the same magazines for a reasonable price through Zinio I would. The only real difference is that I would not get the CD full off apps and such that I rarely use. That could probably be overcome by having a link in the magazine that takes you to a subscribers web-page.

Like I said, maybe all this exists now. I haven't used Zinio in a couple years, but I plan on jumping back onboard tonight.

EDIT: Oh yeah, +1 for the Top Gear mag.

14. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

LOL
    I got 2 of the $5 subscriptions . . . can't go wrong for $5 . . . . I thought :eek:

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Now THAT would be cool . . . especially if it was interactive ;)

16. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

I yearn for F1 magazine, heck any motorsport publication...but I doubt there is market demand without international availability of the iPad!!

17. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Ap: Tiger Woods PGA Tour
    Books: larger selection
    Mags: yearly subscriptions and no $5 an issue

18. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

If Zinio is not careful they are going to give Magazines a bad name. The App is terrible even tho the Magazines offered are all very nice.

I'm still in shock over how the App works. Actually maybe I'm in a state of disbelief its that bad.

I do agree with most others when they say $5 a issue is not going to keep anyone in business when you can get a yearly for a fraction of that and it's delivered to the door.

What are "they" thinking? Or then again maybe they're not and that's the problem.

I just don't think "they" get it. Print media is run by stones and I have to wonder if they are trying to hang on to something that is long past, soon to be gone.

IDK but it's sure interesting to see as it does NOT work and it seems to be going nowhere fast.

19. soxfanreggie macrumors regular

Right now, I'm not going to pay more for an iBook than I could pay in stores - with the company saving money because they don't have a physical product to produce and sell. With a paperback, I can give that to someone else, sell it to a used bookstore/on eBay. With an iBook, I can't do that. Hence, you would think you'd find some great deals on iBooks. Maybe eventually you will!

I also agree on the magazine part. Looking at the WSJ at well, why would I want the app (free right now to WSJ online subscribers) for a heck of a lot more than I'm paying for a yearly online subscription that I can use on any computer with Internet access, including my iPad.

20. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Dunno if you are aware of this, I messed around after discovering there will be no native ipad stanza. If you extract your iPhone or iPod stanza backup using the iPhone backup extractor, then drill into documents / library in that backup you'll find all your books saved as numbered folders. Inside each folder are a bunch of files, the number with no extension is actually an epub file which can be renamed and synced to ipad where it will open in iBooks with all meta data intact. For safety I opened mine in stanza for windows then exported them as epubs, then stuck them in my macs iTunes library ready to sync.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have already paid €60+ on annual subscriptions to

Games™ magazine
    Digital Arts
    MacUser

Piximag published,

22. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Zinio seems fine to me. The brief load time during which pages look pixelated is okay, though I think they should consider just blanking the page out instead and letting it pop in fully formed after a few seconds. The alternative would be to download it completely when you first open the magazine, which would take time and storage space that may not be worth it. Other than load time, I have no complaints. I read a magazine on Zinio last night, and it was enough like reading it in paper that I forgot sometimes I wasn't.

I bought a $127 annual subscription to The Economist last night via Zinio.

My wishes:

1 - a standard way to view your magazines. I don't want to use a different app for every magazine. At a minimum, I hope the UI is similar for every magazine.

2 - it amazes me that The New Yorker isn't available in any way on the iPad, other than via their Web site. It seems like a natural for the iPad's demographic.

23. random person macrumors 6502a

+1 here. Still can't believe the full NY Times app isn't yet available!

24. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Agreed.

I'm not opposed to paying a reasonable annual subscription, but it shouldn't be more than newstand prices for starters, and should ideally be less than the "discounted subscription offers" on their card inserts in the magazines.

25. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

There are three sides to pricing digital copies of magazines and newspapers ...

1 - what the market will support for the content (which is different for different publications)

2 - cost savings of digital distribution vs paper distribution

3 - changes in revenue between print and digital copies

Even if the same ad appears, the magazine is not necessarily getting the same revenue for a digital copy as a print copy. It may be the same, higher or lower depending on details.

To me, same as print seems intuitively fair and reasonable. I would have some questions for a publication that charged more for digital than for print. I'd like it to be cheaper than print, but ultimately, I don't have an iPad to get content at a discount, I have an iPad to make the things I do easier, and having my magazines all loaded into a tablet makes reading them easier and more convenient.