Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad App Downloads and Spending Reached Record Levels in Q1 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Downloads of iPad apps surged in the first quarter of this year, driven by an increase in use and adoption of the device amid widespread stay-at-home orders.

First-time downloads of iPad-specific apps surpassed 1.1 billion worldwide in Q1 2020, according to data compiled by Sensor Tower. It marks the first year-on-year growth since the fourth quarter of 2013 and a 40 percent increase from Q1 2019.

Based on the data, the vast majority of app installs in the first quarter were in the Games and Entertainment category, followed by education apps, which reached a record 105 million worldwide.

The previous best quarter for Education apps was Q1 2013 when they reached 91 million, indicating the impact of at-home schooling during the health crisis.

In addition, quarterly global consumer spending in iPad apps reportedly saw the largest year-on-year increase since Q4 2014 at 16 percent and crossed the $2 billion threshold for the first quarter ever. About 76 percent of that money, approximately $1.6 billion, was spent on games.

As for iPhone, app installs grew 24 percent year on year last quarter, compared to 40 percent growth on iPad, partly owing to the iPad's increased suitability as a laptop stand-in at home, particularly for younger students, notes Sensor Tower.

Article Link: iPad App Downloads and Spending Reached Record Levels in Q1 2020

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Maybe now Apple will actually take iPadOS seriously and not treat it as a blown up iOS like they have for many years

Incredible power, incredibly limiting software, that’s always been the story

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
On a side-note:

I think another deeper trend we’re going to start seeing with more apps, is in the ‘educational sector’. Where developers will start structuring apps that Can continue to be more dynamic in offering offsite training/learning for students and faculty due to C/19. These types of things have always kind of existed, but now that a lot of education is being shifted to online versus ‘large scale’ classrooms, this will continue to push educational training Take advantage of the iPad even more outside a textbook/classroom setting through various apps.

Which we all know the iPad is a
‘consumption device‘, but this will continue to push the iPad even more to be an Educational tool for developers to conform to this new shift.

Comment

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Maybe now Apple will actually take iPadOS seriously and not treat it as a blown up iOS like they have for many years

Maybe now? I'm pretty sure they have slowly been doing that since rebranding it as iPadOS, as proven by the Magic Keyboard and trackpad support.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
IPadOS it’s just a rebranding of iOS, it’s literally the same thing. They didn’t actually do anything with it
Initially, they took iOS and called it iPadOS but then they started making iPad centric changes pretty quickly, I mean, we can technically say that iOS is just rebranded macOS because you know that's where it came from ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Comment

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Initially, they took iOS and called it iPadOS but then they started making iPad centric changes pretty quickly, I mean, we technically say that iOS is just rebranded macOS because you know that's where it came from ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you really comparing the differences between macOS and iOS and the difference between iOS and iPadOS?

Comment

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I'm just saying you calling iPadOS being the exact same thing as iOS is incorrect and using the same logic you used with macOS and iOS

Obviously they’re not exactly the same, but it has been known that iPadOS was just an iOS re-branding. Yes Apple is making slow and I mean very slow improvements to the iPadOS, but it is still significantly closer to iOS then it is macOS

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I think the people using the iPad during this time choose it precisely because it suffices as a PC replacement without the complexities of a desktop operating system. It’s affordable, lets them access the web and run basic apps, and that’s really all they need from it. I doubt these people are connecting Bluetooth mice and keyboards to them and turning them into makeshift laptops.

For them, simplicity may be the key selling point of the iPad, not complexity.

Comment

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Had an iPad 3rd generation. Good at consumption; risible at creation. Gave it away after a few weeks.

Recently had a few days with an iPad Pro and, wow-o-wow-o-wow, what a brilliant device. Going back to my MBP felt like I had stepped back in time.

Not perfect, but getting very close to perfection. Absolutely loved it.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
IPadOS it’s just a rebranding of iOS, it’s literally the same thing. They didn’t actually do anything with it
Whether the code is forked from IOS or there is an if statement driving the functionality:

Code:
if ipad == true then
allow_slide_over_window='yes'
else
allow_slide_over_window='no'
end

We don't know...at least now. But it is literally not the same thing.
[automerge]1588341098[/automerge]
I know the iPad never took off like Apple hoped, but I didn't realize that you have to go back 7 years for the last banner year for iPad apps.
Seems like there is a resurgence in progress.

Reactions: philryan and CarlJ
Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Nowhere to go but up for iPad and iPadOS. The iPad Pro is easily the best computer I have used and I could never go back to to macOS - way too unpolished and clunky. Apple should start over with a new desktop OS or move iPadOS to their laptops and desktops.

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2019
Nowhere to go but up for iPad and iPadOS. The iPad Pro is easily the best computer I have used and I could never go back to to macOS - way too unpolished and clunky. Apple should start over with a new desktop OS or move iPadOS to their laptops and desktops.
Let's not get carried away...;)

I agree, the iPad is the future, and I think that now that Apple is dedicating time to it instead of bundling it with iPhone software-wise, we're going to see an upswing in sales. It really is all the computer most people need.

That said, macOS is still the best desktop OS there is, IMHO, at least today. It is WAY more powerful and efficient than iPadOS in many scenarios, and the hardware is too. Can't start getting rid of the trucks because we really, really like the cars now can we?

At the source, these OS are the same (according to Steve at least), so I believe convergence is inevitable at some point.

But I think Apple's approach is correct: Two OSes for two VERY different types of hardware.

Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

I agree, the iPad is the future, and I think that now that Apple is dedicating time to it instead of bundling it with iPhone software-wise, we're going to see an upswing in sales. It really is all the computer most people need.

That said, macOS is still the best desktop OS there is, IMHO, at least today. It is WAY more powerful and efficient than iPadOS in many scenarios, and the hardware is too. Can't start getting rid of the trucks because we really, really like the cars now can we?

At the source, these OS are the same (according to Steve at least), so I believe convergence is inevitable at some point.

But I think Apple's approach is correct: Two OSes for two VERY different types of hardware.

macOS is the best current desktop OS, I agree, but it’s become so bloated and broken over the years. Add a menu bar, proper windowing, better multitasking, external drive support, and more pro apps to iPadOS and it would be a better solution in my eyes. I know macOS isn’t going anywhere, but it needs to evolve. I’m hoping for major software changes and new form factors when they move to their own custom chips.

Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

Suspended
Mar 20, 2016

As a MBP fanboi, my response would be:

If iPad is so much the future, then why have iPad sales steadily declined so much faster than the decline of laptops/desktops for years? (NB: laptops/desktops have been declining slightly because most home users who simply browse the internet and use email can now do that on a phone and don't need a full computer at home. All those that do real computer based work still have a computer. Sure, some now use an iPad instead, but not many in comparison, or at least not many that don't also have a computer too). Nah, they're a toy for most people who need to do any power work. The only way to make them a real computer is to put a real OS in them, add a real keyboard and trackpad (as they have done), and put enough RAM and SSD in them to make them useable for multitasking and storage, so basically make them a MBP, and at similar prices, with the only distinguishable feature being a removable keyboard. Or take a MB and add a touch screen, with the only feature difference between a MB and iPad is the removable keyboard on the later. So be careful what you wish for, as to pull it off, the prices of iPads will have to go up.

The MBP is a sports car, not a truck. The iPad is a tricycle.

To converge iPadOS and macOS would require removing the walled garden. So if you are going to do that, you'd just take macOS and add touch screen capabilities to it. You wouldn't take iPadOS and add all the features that had been removed from macOS in the first place. So again, if you're going to merge iPad and MB, you're just making iPad a MB with removable keyboard. In your analogy, turning the car into a truck. In my analogy, turning the tricycle into a sports car You're never going to dumb down the MB into an iPad without simply losing all those customers to Windows (and not because they will want to, because they will have to).

As a mature human, my real response is:

Their seems to be a war going on between MB fanbois and iPad fanbois, with both wishing the other didn't exist and all converted to the promised land. Both sides are delusional. MB fanbois love the form factor and capabilities, the physical keyboard and trackpad are the essential, efficient tools for fast volume data input. iPad fanbois love the form factor, the touch screen is essential and efficient for the fast, efficient GUI navigation, and data input is low volume, so doesn't need a physical keyboard, and most data input is either tapping a selection, or art based drawing input. They are two completely different use cases, and both see their use case as the sports car. So let's all make peace, and realise the both should continue to exist, and neither knows what the other needs best.

Apple isn't stupid, both are $5B revenue streams on their own, and both add to the ecosystem that drives more iPhone sales. Neither are going to replace the other, and neither are going to die off. Apple are merely beefing up the capabilities of iPad, and in an optional way, so people who need the beef, can pay for it if they want, e.g. the new expensive keyboard. They are also trying to merge apps to a degree where you can use apps on both iPad and MB, but I'm not sure if they are aiming for 100% compatibility, or merely an overlap for the simpler apps.

Reactions: naturalstar
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.