ipad app for Samsung Smart TV (movie manager)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by roveer, Nov 28, 2013.

1. roveer macrumors newbie

My Samsung TV has the Smart Hub which plays video files from my NAS. It does a great job of streaming and playing the videos. The problem is it has no front end. Just a file view for the movies. There are lots of other front ends (plex for example), but they transcode the movies which gives less than perfect quality. They do however has a nice front end with artwork.

I'm looking for an ipad app that will give a nice presentation but instead of transcoding the movie just "send" it to the samsung TV and let it do the playing. It needs to have a nice front end with artwork etc.

Do any apps exist like this? I've seen a couple of apps which let you "play on" and you can select the TV and it instructs the TV to play the movie but they don't have the nice front end.

Thanks.

Roveer

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

From what I've read Plex only transcodes when it "needs" to based on bandwidth. Also, I understand that it may be possible to delete the transcoder in Plex.

i have a SSTV also and I'm wondering if you could answer a question:

Have you ever tried to figure out what sort of bandwidth your Samsung TV is capable of?

I used the Web Browser app to navigate to speedof.me and my download speed was measured at 1.9 Mb/s, using either wifi or ethernet, and that seems horrible. I don't know if it's an accurate way to measure the bandwidth and tech support at Samsung couldn't tell me how I can check it. I get pausing on the YouTube app and some of my Plex movies seem to have problems, also.