iPad app in a ipad 3 resolution, what happens?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LeandrodaFL, Sep 4, 2012.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Im about to purchase a game in the iOS app store, Final Fantasy 3.

As far as I know, this game is a port from a Nintendo DS, wich has a very low resolution. Moreover, I read that while this look goods on a iphone, it doesnt look that good on an Ipad, because of the 1280x960 resolution. Now, there is the iPAd 3 with the insane retina resolution. how does this game, or any other application meant for a lower resolution screen appears on this new iPAD? Will I get like a micro screen within the iPad panel?

2. takezo808 macrumors member

If it's an iphone app on ipad, yes there will be a small window or zoom to almost fill screen. It's not that bad. BTW orignal ipad and ipad 2 screen resolution is 1024x768. The retina ipad (aka ipad 3) is 2048x1536. Yes for a 10 inch display it's insane.

But any ipod app will be better zoomed than in a small window. But you might want to see if their is an ipad version. I think there is. if you don't want to spend the cash to buy the ipad version. you can always strech it. FF3's graphics has been improved over the original, however it's very simplistic and will not make much of a diffrence.

3. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

4. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

It will just pixel double from what I can tell. 1024x768 doubled

5. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately the standard behaviour is to interpolate rather than simply “pixel doubling” which results in a softer image than playing on an iPad 2.

Note that these are photographs of a non-retina app. Click for fullsize.

iPad 2:
    [​IMG]

iPad 3:
    [​IMG]

How it would look if the iPad 3 used “pixel doubling” (nearest neighbour scaling)
    [​IMG]

The iPad 3 has the potential to look much better than the iPad 2 with apps (eliminates pixel grid over the image) but only if the developer disables interpolation when upscaling.