Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Hi,

I‘m trying to find out how to do this on my iPad:

1628601974766.png

This is a screenshot of part of someone else’s iPad Home Screen and I would like to arrange my apps in these Launcher-like widget folders.

I’ve tried the free version of the “Launcher with Multiple Widgets” app but it cannot find many of my apps so it doesn’t cut it for me to pay for the pro version which may or may not find my apps.

I’ve also tried a mind-bogglingly complicated Siri Shortcut, downloaded from Routine’s website, but I need a step by step walkthrough to figure out how to customise it and I can’t find one.

And I‘ve tried building my own Shortcut using the “Open App” command, but I don’t get the icons of my apps icon-size, just glyph-size in standard Shortcut arrays, not the cool folder-like widget-arrays in the above photo.

So, can anyone help? If the solution lies in the Shortcuts app, I’d need a walkthrough because I’m a novice with Shortcuts, although I’d like to learn more. Or maybe the answer is staring me in the face somewhere in the widgets functionality and I can’t see it.

What I’d really like are panels as in the photo which can hold customised groups of the apps I choose to put into each panel.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I’m still on iPad OS 14 on my current iPad, but will be upgrading it to trial iPad OS 15 as soon as my new iPad arrives sometime in the next week and I‘ve copied everything over.

Last edited:

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
OK. Yeah. But the Siri Suggestions widget is not customisable, right? Siri just “randomly” puts up app icons, presumably based on usage. To 'customise' Siri Suggestions, I have to wade through the Settings in every single app. But even then, the apps in the Siri Suggestions box do not stay put. They keep moving around, disappearing, and reappearing based on usage. But I want something customisable.

The initial picture (of Siri Suggestions) is really just a visual aid to what I'm seeking. So the original post stands.

Last edited:

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
Basically, you want to have rows of apps that are in 1 place? Well you have that ability already, just place the apps where you want them. They just don’t have the little outline around them.

Sounds like you’re just trying to over complicate things

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Basically, you want to have rows of apps that are in 1 place? Well you have that ability already, just place the apps where you want them. They just don’t have the little outline around them.

Sounds like you’re just trying to over complicate things

No. There is so much wasted space on my 12.9 M1 running 15 Beta. With Today View gone from the Home Screen to a swipe over, app icons are spaced so widely apart you could fit an app icon in-between each app icon. Even when the app icons are set to big size.

But, with a fully customisable app launcher widget, the icons can be organised by function and made more compact. 3 app launcher widgets, each containing 4 icons, could fit side by side across the screen. That's 12 across, not this absurd 6.

The waste of space is criminal, between icons and widgets, and down the sides of the screen.

Basically, this new Home Screen is a mess.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But, with a fully customisable app launcher widget, the icons can be organised by function and made more compact. 3 app launcher widgets, each containing 4 icons, could fit side by side across the screen. That's 12 across, not this absurd 6.

Well, if you want a fully customizable widget… you could try Widgy?

I think in terms of customization.. it’s the best widget out there. However, you will have to do a lot of tinkering in order to make it work to your liking.

c4d8e46337398d4dbae38725c36715fb.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.