iPad app scaling: why doesn't the iPad use iPhone 5 size

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by macuserx86, Sep 25, 2012.

1. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

That's the question, why does the iPad display apps that are optimized for the taller iPhone 5 screen at previous iPhone sizes. Wouldn't it make more sense to display the taller apps on the iPad too?
    I hope Apple addresses this, because it would be nice to be able to take advantage of taller apps on the iPad too.

2. AshtonTS, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

AshtonTS macrumors member

Wouldn't really make sense seeing as how the iPhone was already narrower than the iPad even before the 5, so there would be much more wasted screen real estate on the iPad because its so much taller

3. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

:confused:

It would look almost the same as it does now but with a 568 vertical resolution instead of 480; It would essentially show more content. It's a good idea.

4. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Because the iPhone 5 app's resolution is 1136 pixels high or 2272 pixels high at 2x and the iPad is 1024 or 2048 pixels high so it wouldn't fit pixel for pixel, it'd have to be shrunk, which would distort it.

Yes it would fit the iPad 3 at 1x, but then it'd have to switch between the normal version and the new version each time you pressed the 2x button.

5. portishead macrumors 65816

I noticed the same thing today. I guess it makes sense if you're going to scale it, otherwise would be nice to have 4" apps.

6. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
    However, it doesn't seem impossible to implement a system where it uses the taller app at 1x and the regular app at 2x. Might look janky though. I just hate scaling iPhone apps, so I'd rather have more 1x space.

7. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I'm not sure of all the technical details but also isn't there issue of developers having to create and support multiple aspect ratios. Wasn't something similar the "reason" Apple created the 5 with the aspect that is has.