Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'm guessing this has been brought up before, but I just have been fed up lately with how slow the App Store on the iPad is. It seems like things take awhile to load, such as when you go to the top selling apps section. When you click 'next 10' it seems buggy and sometimes doesn't register or takes a few extra seconds. Then if you've revealed say the top 50 apps that way and decide to click on one, when you go back, it reverts back to only the top 10, and it will take you awhile to press 'next 10' four more times to get back to where you were. Its just no intuitive and strange for an Apple product.

The iPhone app store app is much faster and more intuitive.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I'm guessing this has been brought up before, but I just have been fed up lately with how slow the App Store on the iPad is. It seems like things take awhile to load, such as when you go to the top selling apps section. When you click 'next 10' it seems buggy and sometimes doesn't register or takes a few extra seconds. Then if you've revealed say the top 50 apps that way and decide to click on one, when you go back, it reverts back to only the top 10, and it will take you awhile to press 'next 10' four more times to get back to where you were. Its just no intuitive and strange for an Apple product.

I don't have the problems you described. For me, it loads fairly quickly, usually on the tap itself. I do, however, agree that iPhone App Store is better looks wise.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009

I agree. I hate looking at App #46, reading some reviews, and then going back and being stuck at square 1. Totally unneccessary.

I also am finding disdain for iTunes as well. For a company that has spent years making fun of bloatware such as Windows, iTunes is the slowest, most spinny beach ball app I use. The store is horrendous even on a 12Mbps internet connection.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I agree it's not great, but some of the slowness may be the network and server backend from the store...hopefully once Apple's new NC datacenter goes online things will improve, but I don't know if the app store is part of that. But yeah, they need to go back to the drawing board on the UI, it's pretty clunky. I have the feeling there's a lot of great apps I'm missing out on because they're just buried.

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008

I couldn't have said it better, it's the most frustrating experience on the ipad by far. I can't believe Apple hasn't fixed this yet. Only being able to see 10 at a time makes me not even want to search for apps. Especially when I get to apps 60-70, click one to check it out, then have to start at 1-10 again when I go back.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It's the same sucky App store as the iPhone and if they haven't seen a reason to improve it after selling 50MM+ units then don't hold your breath.

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
We need Charles Barkley to call up and tell them it's terrible, terrible.

Or maybe a "Hitler Unhappy with iPad App Store" on You Tube.

Plus, it's like being at the carnival. You never know if it stops at 60, 70, 80, 90 or 100. Round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows.

We need an app for this.

Jkazmeyer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Madison TN
I've had these problems as well, but I've found a way to remedy it. I've noticed that when I have very little free ram, those issues show their heads, so if you just give it a respring or a reboot it should work fine. If you're jail broken it's easy to monitor your available memory, if not just give it a reboot & then try.... Works great for me!

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I agree. I hate looking at App #46, reading some reviews, and then going back and being stuck at square 1. Totally unneccessary.

I also am finding disdain for iTunes as well. For a company that has spent years making fun of bloatware such as Windows, iTunes is the slowest, most spinny beach ball app I use. The store is horrendous even on a 12Mbps internet connection.

12 Mbps? That's so yesterday. :) It loads fast as heck on my 200 Mbps connection. :)

dadams1

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
And another thing...

Try this:
Next time you sync, put a smaller amount of photos on the iPad. For some reason, this makes a HUGE difference with the time it takes to load the App store. Apps, Music, Video, etc don't seem to matter, but shave off the number of photos, and zippy. Give it a try and see if it affects you too.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Try this:
Next time you sync, put a smaller amount of photos on the iPad. For some reason, this makes a HUGE difference with the time it takes to load the App store. Apps, Music, Video, etc don't seem to matter, but shave off the number of photos, and zippy. Give it a try and see if it affects you too.

Strange, why would the amount of photos have anything at all to do with the app store?

Is it the same strange thing like how your brightness settings can somehow effect the wifi connection? ;)

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Strange, why would the amount of photos have anything at all to do with the app store?

Is it the same strange thing like how your brightness settings can somehow effect the wifi connection? ;)

I'm officially denoting this as the iPad placebo effect. :p

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I dont find using it a particularly 'fluid' experience. It's just a poor UI design. Casual browsing feels sluggish, and I hate the way it remembers your last search. I hope that this is something Apple addresses in the next software update.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I hate that when you buy an app it jumps out of the app store and you have to relaunch it to continue browsing.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I've been having slowness issues for more than a week now. I can use the browser and email with no problems on my 5Mbps connection but if I try the apps store it sits and takes forever to load, if at all.

dadams1

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007

I know, seems very strange and unrelated. I even called Apple about it. They said it is because I am using more space/ram by adding photos. However, I have a 64gb less than half full. I have tested it by adding tons of video & music, and it doesn't produce the problem - just photos. Here's at least one other person who has noticed it:

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_...z_on=xl_blz_on&client=mv-google&v=UaT3F9scuQk

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
...if you've revealed say the top 50 apps that way and decide to click on one, when you go back, it reverts back to only the top 10, and it will take you awhile to press 'next 10' four more times to get back to where you were...

That does my head in.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
The biggest annoyance for me is that you're taken back to the homescreen after clicking buy. Yes Steve, because I really did want to look at the loading bar on the app for 20 seconds.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
The biggest annoyance for me is that you're taken back to the homescreen after clicking buy. Yes Steve, because I really did want to look at the loading bar on the app for 20 seconds.

I agree, that's another bad part of the app store. It also does the same thing when you just want to update apps. Seems unnecessary.

I think there should be an option to have all your apps automatically updated at a certain time. So I could set it to update all apps at 2 in the morning when I'm asleep and not using the iPad. Then when I wake up every morning all my apps are updated and I never have to manually navigate to the app store to see it there are updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.