iPad app to wake my iMac from sleep and let me control it?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Szarky, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Szarky macrumors 6502a

Have found a few apps that let you control your iMac from your iPad (TeamViewer, LogMeIn) but none sound like they work to wake the computer first.

Would like to be able to wake my computer and open up my PS3 Media Server program to stream movies/shows from my iMac to my PS3.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Enable wake on LAN if it doesn't allow logmein etc to wake it (wouldn't know my mac is on 24/7) then run iTunes home sharing that can be woken up over the network

3. Szarky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could you tell me more of iTunes home sharing? I think I have it on. Does that mean only movies/videos that are in iTunes will show up on the media server?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I ment use home sharing as a work around. If you were to open up the music app on the iPad it should send the wake packet to your mac and wake it up from its sleep. Obviously depending on your router

5. neilmacd macrumors 6502

I use iTeleport which (currently) wakes my iMac and Mini.

I say currently because when Apple update OS X it occasionally screws things up. Generally an iTeleport update gets round this.

Also, if you're at home you don't need to run the dedicated software on your Mac as it happily uses the screen sharing protocol. If you're out and about you can connect using the OS X iTeleport connect software and a gmail username and password.

6. Szarky thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll be using it mostly at home so screen sharing sounds like something I'd use. Anyone have any step-by-step guides or quick tips?