Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's confirmed that iPad will be able to play music wirelessly via AirTunes but I haven't found a specification of whether this will work with an Airport Express or with an AppleTV or both.

Also, if somebody wants to use the iPad autonomously, will they be able to sync with an AppleTV without a computer in the middle?

Is anyone able to answer these questions?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
It's confirmed that iPad will be able to play music wirelessly via AirTunes but I haven't found a specification of whether this will work with an Airport Express or with an AppleTV or both.

Also, if somebody wants to use the iPad autonomously, will they be able to sync with an AppleTV without a computer in the middle?

Afaik the atv cannot sync to anything but the connected computer. Though I see no technical reason why not. But right now the atv cannot sync to any iPod or iPhone.

The atv as it is today does work like airtunes, so you can play music from your computer to the atv which will play the music through whatever is connected to your atv ala airtunes.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

When did Apple confirm that the iPad would support AirTunes?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
^ It's in the Guided Tour: "... or connect iPad to your home stereo system and play your music throughout the house". Sounds like Airtunes to me.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
^ It's in the Guided Tour: "... or connect iPad to your home stereo system and play your music throughout the house". Sounds like Airtunes to me.

Sounds like plugging a mini-jack RCA (red/white) audio cable into the iPad’s headphone port or iPad dock’s audio output to me. If AirTunes was in iPhone OS 3.2, we would have heard about it before now.

wrboyce

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007

iPad in hand, I can confirm that your confirmation is a lie :(

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It wasn't my confirmation. It's insinuated in the Apple walk through. Thanks for the hands on update nonetheless.

It's too bad because this is well within the capabilities of iPad. Plugging in to your "home stereo system and listen to music throughtout" the house doesn't work quite as well if you have to walk around with a very long wire, around the house :rolleyes:

I'm confident that iTunes in iPad will eventually gain all the functionality of iTunes on OSX but of course, Apple has to have "new stuff" to introduce in future iPad's and OS updates.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Sounds like plugging a mini-jack RCA (red/white) audio cable into the iPad’s headphone port or iPad dock’s audio output to me. If AirTunes was in iPhone OS 3.2, we would have heard about it before now.

Agree 100%. No mention of "wireless" or "wirelessly" in that part of the iPod on iPad presentation.

:apple::apple:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
True, but you don't expect to walk around the house with a cable connected to your iPad. It's sort of implied that this would be AirTunes. Nonetheless, iPad owners can tell us that indeed Apple left this capability out and indeed you will need a 50ft cable to listen to music through your stereo system around the house lol.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
iPad owners can tell us that indeed Apple left this capability out

They haven't left anything out - iPhoneOS never had any AirTunes capabilities to begin with.. be it AirTunes server or client. iPad is an iPhoneOS based product, that's all there is to know about this.

The only thing you can do on iPad is control other AirTunes sources via Apple Remote.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
I'm eager to have the iPad wirelessly send audio to my stereo, via Airport Express or AppleTV. (Not only from the iPod app, which would be super cool, but from other streaming apps like Pandora. I know, wishful thinking.)

Having the iPad as interactive music remote control, without needing any other computer involved or even on, is something I'm very interested in.

That said, when searching, I did stumble upon this German (?) web page that seems to claim to have gotten the answer... right from Steve Jobs' email reply:

"Not yet. But I want to do this too. Just a matter of getting to it."

So there you have it. Steve wants it too. And so we all will get it. Sometime soon, hopefully.

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Why don't you just put all your music on your Apple TV and use the Apple Remote application on your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch to control your home theater system wirelessly. Then you can also have different zones in your house that you can turn on, off, or use simultaneously if you have multiple Airport Expresses connected to your network. Now you don't need a 50ft cord. ;):apple:

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Why don't you just put all your music on your Apple TV and use the Apple Remote application on your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch to control your home theater system wirelessly. Then you can also have different zones in your house that you can turn on, off, or use simultaneously if you have multiple Airport Expresses connected to your network. Now you don't need a 50ft cord. ;):apple:

Nice sensible answer. Or store music on your mac and do the same. Wake on network, that sort of thing.

p.s. Did you see this?

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/01/apple-remote-coming-for-ipad/

sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.