iPad apps are way cheaper than standard desktop, notebook and even netbook apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Anyone noticed this? They are often just as cheap as even iphone apps that no one really takes seriously for productivity. I mean almost the same iworks is half the price on the ipad app store as compared to the mac app store that macbooks air use. Why do ppl complain about the price of the ipad when its not even that expensive esp compared to other tablets and even netbooks when you take into account all the money you're gonna have to spend on its software like anti virus, etc. and stuff like NTFS-3G if you want to get any file transfers going on between systems that really is required for many people owning multiple operating systems in computing and should be included in packages for both microsoft and apple instead of having propriety harddrives.

The thing that gets me is paying $100 more just for 16 gb more space. Why didnt apple just use standard hard drives if the iPad flash memory is so expensive still? I mean at least have both as an option or something -- unlike the iPhone the iPad has the big space inside it or enough space to have some sort of a hard drive. But still the apps and software is almost a steal on it.

2. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Why is solid state better than hard drives? Let's see.

Faster.
    It's smaller
    No spinning drive means more battery life.
    It's silent
    No moving parts, not as susceptible to damage as a spinning disk.

3. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Ipad apps are cheaper maybe because of the platform difference between MBAs?

4. seajay96 macrumors 6502

iPad apps are cheaper because they aren't as fully developed as the "full" versions. As good as iWork apps are on the iPad, they don't bring anywhere near the same functionality as a full desktop version.

5. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea but who uses those functions thst the ipad doesnt have in those programs? The functions it doesnt have are always stuff no one uses anyway or you csn get sround with other apps.

6. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

People who do things more serious with their time than spending time showing off their iGadgets at Starbucks?

To be honest, nobody serious would even touch iWorks, everyone uses Office. But you'd have to be daft to not see that the iPad iWorks is gimped next to the full iWorks.

7. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do you think Apple streamlines things just because its a tablet? Why cant we have the best of both worlds and use our ipads like a macbook but with the comfort of our laps and without rleying on a trackpad? The screen should be good enough size? I mean I constantly see people at atarbucks with macnook airs on their laps while my ipad just looks so much more comfortable. Why cant apple just combine ipada comfort with the ability to do the macbook work as well into one device?

It reminds me of how gameloft tries to make rts games on a tiny iphone and relying on people using fat fingers and ot even a stylus. Why dont they require a stylus or at least recommend it for atarfront?
    http://www.touchgen.net/starfront-collision-hands-on-video

If the iphone or ipad can handle starcraft why wouldnt it handle a real word processor?

8. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Just as the iPad supplements a computer, the iPad apps are more or less a supplement to the full blown computer app... thus cheaper. Personally, I wouldn't have the iPad iWork Suite unless I also had iWork on my MacBook. The MacBook version is where I'd do my work and the iPad version would be a supplemental/on the go version. Make sense?

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Exactly what I do to! And Pages is pretty rocking on the iPad!

10. Stirolak123, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

But if Gameloft can make preciaion based games like Starcraft where you have to select individual units in big battles on a small iphone screen where they dont even recommend a stylus but fat fingers, why cant apple update pages to the full version on the iPad's screen? If its not the screen what else is the handicap?