iPad apps for professional development and productivity?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MacHandmedown, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MacHandmedown macrumors newbie

New iPad 2 owner here... (Finally! Feels great, like the world is my oyster as they say...!)

Looking for suggestions on what core apps to put on it as well as specifically for education, personal development, productivity, and things like that.

I've started with:
    Pages
    Keynote
    iBooks and Kindle Reader
    Flipboard (though I need to learn how to set this up and set it up)
    Evernote (same here)
    Google Earth
    Dropbox

And, of course, the apps that came with it - notably safari, mail, contacts, calendar, and notes.

Looking for suggestions not only in the areas that I mentioned above, but "better" options for things like the calendar, contacts, etc.

Thanks!

2. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

An obvious shameless plug, since it's my app, but take a look at CalWizrd. It gives you a lot of calendar/date calculation and manipulation stuff that you won't find anywhere else.

Mike

3. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

You've got a pretty good list going. For business use

-- Office HD or one of the other Microsoft Office "substitutes". If you done a ton of writing, there are apps specifically dedicated to that.
    -- Good reader or another app that allows you to mock up/annotate pdfs
    -- People like evernote, but you may want to look at one of the other note taking apps, particular those that allow handwriting.
    --To Do Lists. I've never figured out why IOS doesn't play with Outlooks tasks. I use tootoodle as my to do list- there are others. Some even some that more sophisticated project management.
    -- Calculator app. Yes it's very weird the Iphone but not the Ipad has a native calculator. Maybe it's all for the best b/c you'd likely get one that meets your specific needs. I found one that provides an electronic tape, just like an adding machine. Very helpful for long series of numbers.
    -- Remote deskop app. It is insanely helpful to be able to get full access to your desktop anywhere you have your IPAD. Our firm uses Citrix.

If I thought about it longer I could come up with more. However, the off quoted line that the IPad isn't for business is just wrong.

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

iOS 5 Reminders handles exchange tasks.

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

A snapshot of my Work folder as I'm lazy....

Attached Files:

6. Odbxl macrumors newbie

IAnnotate is the most professional app for PDFs. The calendar of iPad is substandard but they are going to release a new one with the OS upgrade in the next weeks.

----------

I have been looking for one like this, could you please share the name?

----------

I have been looking for one like this, could you please share the name?

7. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I would suggest the following apps.

Pocket Informant (Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Notes)
    Day One (Daily Journal)
    TactioHealth (keeping track of your weight, blood pressure etc)