iPad artists: how much of a problem is lag?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zarusoba, Mar 30, 2012.

1. zarusoba, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

zarusoba macrumors 6502

I've heard that lag can be a big problem when drawing or painting on iPad, and this is giving me cold feet about buying one.

Do you have this problem: that is, does the brush trail a long way behind your finger? And does it depend on the app you're using?

2. nonnynz, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

nonnynz macrumors newbie

It is a real issue, but it depends both on your personal sensitivity to it, and the drawing app that you're using.

Specifically, many drawing apps primarily use the CPU, rather than the GPU to do the draw processing. You can see this in apps like ArtRage or Brushes, the more you've drawn on the canvas, and the more layers you've added, the more lag is introduced to the tracking of your finger. With the new iPad, this issue will be compounded for drawing apps that aren't GPU accelerated, because the CPU remains unchanged from the iPad 2, but the resolution has doubled.

Now, in my opinion, the gold standard for drawing apps, from a technical standpoint, is Procreate. It was built from the ground up around the GPU, and it is phenomenally lag-free. The new iPad has twice the GPU cores of the iPad 2, and the developers claim that the upcoming version update maintains awesome performance on the new iPad:

http://savage.si/blog/2012/03/16/the-new-ipad-procreate/

Some people will put up with a bit of lag because they prefer an app that might not be as performant, or maybe they're not sensitive enough to the lag and don't perceive it to be an issue. This is something you'll have to make your own judgement about as you try the different apps available.

3. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for explaining that so clearly. I had heard that Procreate was lag-free in comparison to others, and now I understand why.

Have you used Inspire Pro? How about vector apps?

4. nonnynz macrumors newbie

Sorry, I haven't tried Inspire, or vector-based drawing apps (except for Apple's Keynote, if you can qualify that as a vector app).

At the new iPad introduction, Autodesk demo'd an upcoming vector drawing app, but it was hard to get a sense from the video how lag-free it was, though. At least you know they're developing it with the new iPad in mind.

5. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I havn't found it to be a problem on the iPad 2 or 3 for dedicated art apps (some note apps seem to struggle with it). Though it may be partially obscured by the large stylus I have, waiting on the Jot Touch to get one of those types.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In Autoddesk, as posted above, the more you add the more the lag becomes evident, but it's only really with large complicated images. Day to day use is fine. I wouldn't let it deter me from buying one that's for sure.

7. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Ive mostly just used it for light sketching (find it too imprecise with a normal stylus, and apps a little underdeveloped to put a lot of time into something on it), perhaps thats why it hasnt been an issue.

Im really looking forward to sketchbook ink, perhaps the vector engine will run smoothly on big pieces. Most vector apps released so far arn't really for normal artwork.

8. zarusoba, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm also looking forward to the Jot Touch, if it beats the jaja to market. Good to see that Procreate 1.6 will support the Jot Touch. The Jot Pro is very good. I find it accurate enough to use on iPhone.

----------

You've had a chance to use Autodesk Sketchbook Ink, as demo'd at the last keynote?