Ipad - as a customer internet tool - lockdown?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by swanseastu, Jul 25, 2010.

1. swanseastu macrumors member

swanseastu

Im looking at solutions for a project in work.

ive been asked to look at providing an IT booth in a customer reception area where customers are able to go online to a website and make bookings using our corporate website.

Ive got a question....

Im thinking of using an ipad rather than a traditional PC solution and its more compact, looks nice and can easily be stored away at night etc (plus I might be able to get one for myself for testing purposes of course :D )

Am i able to lock this down so all it does is load into safari and maybe even only link to the URL of our website?

Ive looked at the Iphone Configuration utility from apple, but dont think this goes far enough.

What else is available?

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

3. swanseastu thread starter macrumors member

swanseastu

thanks for the reply, thats a great thread and given me some good ideas, plus ive sent a quote request for a stand off to one of the companies.

Thanks again.:D

4. Fourchimney macrumors newbie

Kiosk App + Hardware

There's a full iPad kiosk solution from Kiosk Group:

Check out www.kioskproapp.com for high-end kiosk mode software and www.beyondkiosks.com for professional wall, countertop, and freestanding iPad kiosks.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Apple will not allow you to disable the Home button. There are ways to do this via a Jailbroken device, but no way to accomplish this that won't get your app rejected. Just one more absolutely idiot thing that Apple does to make iOS anti-VAR.

The aforementioned companies offer hardware frames that block the user from being able to access the Home button. This is a ridiculous workaround but since you are likely going to want a stand anyways, that's a decent approach I guess. They also offer software that lets you build your own kiosk apps....again, without being able to disable the Home button (other than blocking it with a chunk of metal).

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It would be a lot easier to get a MacBook and put it into guest user mode. You can then use the parental controls to lock it down even further. Plus, the MacBook has a cable lock connector to keep it physically secure.