iPad as a gaming system?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRocWay, Apr 18, 2012.

1. iRocWay macrumors newbie

iRocWay

I was thinking of buying a ipad for games. Good idea or bad?

2. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Depends on what kind of gaming you like. I think it's a good idea. From Infinity Blade to Shufleboard to Battleship to Monopoly I spend hours goofing around on my iPad. YMMV.

4. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Solely for gaming? You might be better off buying a PlayStation Vita. The iPad has great graphics, but touchscreen controls can be pretty rough. My opinion.

5. iRocWay thread starter macrumors newbie

iRocWay

Vita has no games. Just like the google play store. I currently own a android phone and very bored with it. Want something new. Was thinking bout trading my Galaxy s2 for a iphone.

----------

Yeah games and cool apps.

6. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

^^This!
    Also Too many to name.

7. irDigital0l Guest

Are you sure?

It has/going to get Uncharted, FIFA, Wipeout, Mortal Kombat, BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc.

App Store and Google Play are pretty much the same, but iOS has a lot more and some really good games that aren't on Android.

-Infinity Blade
    -Real Racing 2
    -Batman Arkham City Lockdown
    -Sky Gamblers: Airsupermacy
    -EPOCH

8. iRocWay thread starter macrumors newbie

iRocWay

Yeah vita has good games that are coming soon.But who wants to play full AAA games on a 4 inch screen? when you could play it on a 46" plus screen.

9. MacMane macrumors regular

You will be severely disappointed

----------

iPad has good puzzle games, but as far as enticing games with great graphics and good storylines and and hours of fun, go with a console or ps vita. Even the new iPads graphics have been a let down for me. Everything else about the new iPad is amazing, especially web browsing, photography, and reading.

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

The iPad has a lot of decent time wasters but if you are primarily interested in gaming then the lack of proper controls will probably bother you.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you've actually seen the 5" OLED screen in person your opinion would likely change. The Vita has the best looking display of any portable gaming device.

I like my iPad/iPhone for quick games that don't require a whole lot of thinking, time, or user input. Most games feel and play better with proper controls, touch controls just don't cut it imo.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/tech-specs/

12. Manta-X macrumors member

I love playing on my iPad. So yes... go for it. NBA Jam, Ghost Trick, Max Payne, Rooms, Machinarium, The 7th Guest, Cut the rope, Bike Baron... a lot of great titles to name.

13. elmz macrumors regular

I game on my iPad all the time. I play Modern Combat 3 (a rip of MW) and Order and Chaos (a rip of WoW) sometimes for hours. So yes, you can totally game on the iPad and it runs very smoothly even in online multi-player. The only draw back are the controls, it will take some getting used to.

14. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

From time to time yea, via Airplay on my tv I enjoy infinity Blade, real racing 2, machinarium or just watching mtb downhill movies..

To be honest playing more than hour is too much for me on iPad and I rather turn on PS3 for that.. But its great alternative, I love iPad since its 1st generatiom..

15. dancj macrumors 6502

The iPad is fantastic for gaming - and with patience and AppShopper you'll barely ever need to pay more than 99c for a game.

Touchscreen controls really aren't a problem at all if those your games wisely.

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

for sure! just depends on what you want game wise. I own an xbox 360, so i dont really need it to be one, but the retina display is soooo amazing on some games :)

i find my self playing modern combat online WAY more than i thought i would. Its really fun once you get the controls down. I wish there was a controller for the ipad though.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I hardly ever turn my Xbox on these days. Playing games on my iPhone or iPod just suits my lifestyle more theses days. Also I have to spend £30 for an Xbox game. On the app store 69p or free are the norm. Plus you will find you will use your iPad for more than just games.

18. thelead macrumors 6502

I say yes but if they could ever come out with a wireless controller they would have a gaming revolution.

19. sekazi macrumors 6502

I have a Vita, PSP and DS but I find myself playing my iPad for games more often. actually I haven ot played my Vita since I got my iPad. I have barely touched my iPhone for games too.

The iPad probably will not get games as in-depth as a dedicated console until Apple finally releases a real Bluetooth controller and allows saves to be synced between devices on iCloud and it does not go bye bye if you delete that app.

Anyways my personal favorites

Peggle
    Zuma
    Plants vs Zombies
    Solitaire City
    10 Pin Shuffle
    Tilt to Live
    Worms 2 Armageddon
    Fruit Ninja/Fruit Ninja Puss In Boots
    Flight Control/Flight Control Rocket
    Cut the Rope/Cut the Rope Holiday Gift/Cut the Rope Experiments
    Wheres my water?
    Reckless Racing/Reckless Racing 2
    Burnout Crash!
    Death Rally
    Lane Splitter
    Nuts!
    Edge/Edge Extended
    Amazing Breaker
    Stair Dismount
    World of Goo
    Osmos
    Jetpack Joyride
    N.Y. Zombie
    Mirror's Edge
    Monopoly
    Tetris
    Jenga
    UNO
    Coin Dozer
    Strategery

There are probably more but cannot remember.

20. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

For board games, the iPad is fantastic. It can easily replace a 6 foot stack of folded cardboard and plastic bits.

For some games, like accelerometer based ones, or slower paced touch based ones that were written expressly with the iPad in mind, again, the iPad can be great. A lot of that depends more on the programmer than the iPad.

Unfortunately, for hardcore "gamer" type games...FPS, fighting games, heavy 3D graphics based stuff, etc., the iPad seems more of a novelty. It's breathtaking at times to see what it's capable of, but for long term enjoyment and playability, it falls short. The lack of physical buttons is a problem. I suppose a remote controller could help, but at that point, a dedicated gaming system is probably the better choice, from an ergonomic standpoint.

Mirroring on a TV initially held some promise in theory, but I found it's almost impossible to play any but the simplest button masher games without tactile feedback, as I was constantly glancing back and forth between the TV the iPad.

21. njgeek macrumors regular

Here's some screenshots I took of various games on my iPad 3. Many of these support mirroring to Apple TV.

http://imgur.com/a/nQSvl

Epoch has also gotten a retina update since these pics.

22. iRocWay thread starter macrumors newbie

iRocWay

23. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

You know, with an iPad you can get plenty of games..FOR FREE. There are many free games, and developers sometimes drop their prices to free for a day. I've spent maybe $5 for iPad games in a year and most of them have been on a temporary free sale. If you monitor some app blogs in your rss reader, you'll get some great freebies.

Of course you're not going to get the quality of an HD pc game, but gaming has simplified lately in order to accommodate the mobile devices.

24. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I find that I don't even want to buy or play most games unless it's on my iPad. The retina apps are especially beautiful! :cool:

Maybe that will change if we get a larger screen on the next iPhone. *fingers crossed* :D