iPad as a laptop replacement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrklaw, Nov 11, 2015.

  1. mrklaw macrumors 68020

    Jan 29, 2008
    I don't think I'd be able to use any kind of iPad as an 'only' computer. For those considering iPad pro (or other size iPad) as a laptop replacement, will it be the only computer in the house, or will it still be a companion to a desktop or other 'main' computer?

    I use my iPad Air 2 90% of the time for general stuff, but I couldn't not have my desktop for access to more storage, more power, larger screen etc.
  2. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

    Jul 25, 2014
    I spent a 3-month summer break last year with iPad Air only. Seems to do the trick, especially when I was on break, didn't have much real "work" to do..

    But depends on what you do with most of your time, sure iPad may replace a laptop for you.

    With iPad pro, if you were comparing against a laptop, not an iMac, the screen size is really no longer a downside.
    Power, again, depends on what you do, iPad can be pretty enough.

    Like you said you can live with it for 90% of the time, maybe consider using Remote Desktop for the rest 10%, and a cheap nas for storage.
  3. ascender macrumors 68020

    Dec 8, 2005
    I was thinking about this yesterday as my main machine is a MBA with a 27" display for when i'm working from home. I'm at the point where I think an iPad Pro could replace my MBA, but the missing link is a large external display. I'm surprised Apple didn't take the whole laptop replacement thing a step further by announcing some small sort of hub/dock which would let you use an external display with it.
  4. dan9700 macrumors 68020


    May 28, 2015
    Will never be a laptop without a file system, its still just a big iphone
  5. bandrews macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2008
    Great. Another thread debating whether or not the new iPad Pro works as a laptop replacement.

Share This Page