iPad as a laptop replacement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrklaw, Nov 11, 2015.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I don't think I'd be able to use any kind of iPad as an 'only' computer. For those considering iPad pro (or other size iPad) as a laptop replacement, will it be the only computer in the house, or will it still be a companion to a desktop or other 'main' computer?

I use my iPad Air 2 90% of the time for general stuff, but I couldn't not have my desktop for access to more storage, more power, larger screen etc.

2. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I spent a 3-month summer break last year with iPad Air only. Seems to do the trick, especially when I was on break, didn't have much real "work" to do..

But depends on what you do with most of your time, sure iPad may replace a laptop for you.

With iPad pro, if you were comparing against a laptop, not an iMac, the screen size is really no longer a downside.
    Power, again, depends on what you do, iPad can be pretty enough.

Like you said you can live with it for 90% of the time, maybe consider using Remote Desktop for the rest 10%, and a cheap nas for storage.

3. ascender macrumors 68000

I was thinking about this yesterday as my main machine is a MBA with a 27" display for when i'm working from home. I'm at the point where I think an iPad Pro could replace my MBA, but the missing link is a large external display. I'm surprised Apple didn't take the whole laptop replacement thing a step further by announcing some small sort of hub/dock which would let you use an external display with it.