iPad as a laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jedi5, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I know I've seen these threads on here and now that I need them, I can't find them.

My brother is looking to buy a laptop for his daughter for school. She is going into 8th grade I believe come this fall. For an 8th grader heck a freshman in HS for that matter, could one use an iPad instead of a laptop?

I can't find the threads but I know that many here now use an iPad instead of a laptop.

If he were to ask, you could do the following from an iPad:

Print
    take class notes/stylus
    word doc/spreadsheet - write reports
    transfer docs from PC to ipad

anything else I'm missing here?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have an iPad, but I really don't consider it a replacement for a laptop

In my opinion, for the price, she would be better off with a fully functioning PC laptop or even a netbook

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll be better off with a laptop.

The iPad does some things extremely well, and other things not so well. School work is one that is better left to a laptop.

4. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Would your niece have access to a computer at home? If so, the iPad could be a great supplemental device for her. She can use it to take notes in class, read books, keep track of homework assignments, etc. Just don't expect to be able to complete the homeworks on the iPad. There is a lot of thigns the iPad simply cannot do, or they are extremely frustrating to do on the iPad.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A better setup would be an iPad1 and a used MacBook. That would cover all her bases.