iPad Ipad as a mobile MS Word Doc Platform???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ash211, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ash211 macrumors newbie

I need a mobile word doc compatible platform and I was wondering how well the ipad would work? Anyone have experience using it for such tasks? I'm also wondering if I could use Siri to quickly dictate one to two page word docs rather than slowly typing them out?

2. glen e macrumors 68030

huge MS office user here....
    nah...not really - typing long stuff is a pain and siri is not real good for more than a paragraph...you need an MBA....

3. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

or cheaper yet... get a bluetooth keyboard.

4. Indy2424 macrumors member

I actually use my iPad 3 and the Skydrive site to create documents using Siri. Skydrive now lets you create Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote files when you are on the site.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

no......using word for a professional document is not just about typing, it's about formatting, paragraph selection and page layout....it's document creation and and ipad sucks at that....

6. ash211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I'm just looking for an easy, quick way to dictate a narrative in a word doc format so I can then transfer it to a form. I thought Siri would allow me to do that but if its not ideal for that does anyone have any experience with using The Dragon dictation app on an ipad. I just think in a cramped mobile environment that ill be working in it would be easier to dictate than use any kind of keyboard.

7. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

good to know. is sky drive free?

----------

I used dragon dictation. Used it couple times when I first downloaded. fairly accurate but I find it more annoying that even if I have to correct one thing in a large paragraph, that still annoys me more than just typing it out in the first place.

i think you should just get a macbook air and if you can afford, just get 16g mini for quick revise/edits for documents.

8. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I am still holding out hope for a MS Office Suite for iOS. There have been rumors but there would be no way it would arrive until after the Windows 8 talents took advantage first.

As the business world still runs on Word and Excel I consider it to be the Holy Grail of software for the iPad. Having Office and the ability to store files in our own file system on the iPad would make it value increase 10X for many!

9. Calebcorbin macrumors newbie

Definitely give Pages a try. It's similar to Microsoft word and let's you export as the word file type.

10. monaarts macrumors 65816

Having an MBA doesn't make it better... Having a PHD, on the other hand, is a big game changer! Haha jk