iPad as a phone replacement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KoukiFC3S, Dec 14, 2010.

1. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Anyone using the 3G iPad to replace their mobile phone? I mostly use data on my phone, so Ive been thinking about it.

I could use Google Voice with a VOIP app.

2. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

It would be kinda awkward and kind hard to have private conversations with it I would think too.

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

It's an interesting thought, for folks who use little to no voice at all.

However, SMSing is what I would miss. I know there are these apps, but honestly I've never used them (I have unlimited messaging). Maybe someone can fill be in on whether or not those apps would be a viable replacement.

But yes, I think VoIP technology would work great, espcially on a JB iPad that could work with a bluetooth headset. Maybe you've got your laptop in a bag or case, but it can still ring via bluetooth.

Now, onto my personal opinion, no I wouldn't. I like having my cellphone and there are plenty of opportunities where the iPad can stay home.

However this is an interesting idea for a business. For example, if instead of a phone line in my office, I had a Google Voice account. I could then use it on my iPhone, iPad, office computer, etc. I mean as it is now I can forward calls to my cell when I'm away but that uses minutes.. hmm...

It could definitely replace a land-line for some folks. I haven't had a land line in about 8 years, but for folks who like having a "number for their house", using a Google Voice number would be great. Same reason, the iPad if it's usually at the house, or keep a PC or something signed in. Even if just the iPad, it's an inexpensive, occasional use voice solution for something like that.

4. KoukiFC3S thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I can use the headphones.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Would the apple iPhone headphones with mic work with the iPad?

6. duffer macrumors regular

They do. I made a few test calls yesterday using Talkatone and it worked great.

7. KoukiFC3S thread starter macrumors 6502a

Voice quality using Talkatone on 3G is really good. I did have trouble picking up a call though. Needs more testing.

8. shen macrumors 6502

I keep wondering about this too. I have the original iPhone, but my daughter is getting added to the family plan in 6 months, and I wonder if I should just give her the iPhone plan and turn on my iPad data.

The worst part is that I only use the phone for about 3 conversations a week, always with my wife, and texting. I am also considering a dumb phone and iPad. Trouble is, once you have used the iPhone, all other phones feel pathetic...

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Reminds me of the trigger happy TV episode where the guy walked around town talking loudly into a ridiculously huge cell phone.

But in all seriousness you can certainly make a good run of it trying to use your ipad as your only phone. You can use google voice for incoming calls and voicemail, and use a VOIP service such as whistle for outgoing calls. With a bluetooth headset it actually works pretty decently.

Attached Files:

10. McGilli macrumors 6502

I would gladly replace my iphone with an ipad. I take almost all my calls on speakerphone - so it wouldn't be a problem. And as mentioned, the other calls I take I just use the Apple headphones.

11. mouthster macrumors regular

Oh man, you're one of those guys...

12. el-John-o macrumors 65816

No kidding!! haha. Lets get him a bluetooth headset for Christmas and do humanity a favor! lol

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

2 words "bluetooth headset"

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

i'd love to see someone holding it up to their ear...would be awesome!

15. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Blutooth stack on the iPad not support most bluetooth headsets?

16. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It only supports stereo Bluetooth headsets no mono headsets.

OP I use whistle phone in my iPad for my office direct line. It can also be setup to where if you don't answer your ipad's number it forwards to another phone number. Pretty nice VOIP app.

17. jazziethomas macrumors member

why don't you just go for an iPad and an affordable or cheap phone at the same time you can enjoy using the iPad at the same time you can have a phone to use.

18. Atari800 macrumors newbie

Using Backgrounder (multitasking) let's you use it as a phone while surfing the web of playing a game. Works for me

19. iBought macrumors member

You must be pretty anti social. Imagine walking around trying to coordinate stuff with friends while out and about. It just makes no sense at all and is a dumb idea. Sorry, i love my ipad like everyone else but no way can it replace a phone for everyday use.

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOl Yeah!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]