Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdamiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Chicago
Ya....I know... My son grew out of his iPad mini 4, and I have a recipe book of 500 various recipes I've copied and collected. The current paper binder is big and clumsy and doesn't get much use because of, then I had an idea (maybe not well thought out). What if I shot JPEGS of each recipe, titled them according to the recipe...thinking I could use the title as a way to search for recipes. I shot all of the JPEGs and loaded up a couple dozen of them. Did a quick search and nothing. Looks like each of the JPEGs lost the titles somehow and are replaced by the location of the city I reside/took the photos..

So there's the dilemma...not sure if this is viable. Any suggestions?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Check out the Paprika app. Much better way to handle recipes. Easy to import from web sources or emails. Has an html export so I can upload all my recipes to share with friends and family. Runs on Mac, iPad, and iPhone

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You did not mention how you are taking the pictures, but if with an iPhone or the iPad, you can use Notes to as a scanner. And then can use the share-sheet to "Print" the scan, zoom gesture on the print preview and you have a PDF you can save to Files, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Or if have Dropbox, they have a scanner built into their app as well and can save as PDF. There are other apps out there as well that have scanner to PDF capabilities: scan, PDF, share to Files, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

tdamiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Chicago
Thanks for the info

Question: If I create PDF files for each recipe, and use those instead of JPEGs, won't that still require me to store them a certain way on the iPad mini? How is this different than using JPEGs, if I don't need them in a format that enables me to edit the files?

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
If you copy the PDF version of your recipe files to your iCloud Drive (Files), you can easily search by title in the Files app on your iPad (searching for "chick" will show all the files with "chicken" in the title).

Files will display the PDF directly after it has downloaded from iCloud. You can just view it as is or you can open in iBooks (icon in upper right hand corner) which should store a local copy on your iPad so you don't have to redownload in the future.

I do this with hiking and bicycling trail maps as well as a copy of the current year's tide prediction tables.

Reactions: harriska2

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I sometimes do a screenshot of recipes online and paste them into a google doc. Although I’m a strictly apple person, google drive has been really handy (and free). I share recipes with my son, niece, and neighbor. We all share a “Recipes” folder and my niece created sub folders for dessers, main entrees, drinks, etc. I added BBQ and Indian/Middle East. It has been wonderful because I can easily access from my phone when I’m at the store and forgot my shopping list.

I purchased a couple recipe apps (Paprika and another). None of them were quick and simple enough to use with the sharing option and cloud without extra cost. Google drive. It’s not just for breakfast anymore ;)

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It has been wonderful because I can easily access from my phone when I’m at the store and forgot my shopping list.

Same, but with Dropbox.

Create a PDF from a website/page, use Mac's Preview to combine recipes into "cookbooks" (desserts, sides, type of protein, pasta, etc), save them to Dropbox and make them available for offline use. Generate table of contents using a spreadsheet (that also checks for duplicates).

Reactions: harriska2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.