iPad iPad as a second display - Coming with The new iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheDeviceUser, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Just had a thought. Some of you may remember, that back in June when WWDC rumours were flooding out, there was two which stood out.

- Split Screen Multitasking
    - iPad as a second display.

Now, it's looking quite possible that Apple may add the Split Screen Multitasking to the new iPad Air thanks to the power of the A8X Chip. However, could it be possible that Apple is also preparing a new feature which allows you to use the iPad as a second display? It was rumoured for iOS 8 and it's quite possible that they would limit it to the new iPad to drive sales.

Could be totally wrong but just a thought. What do people think?

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I think it would be a compelling feature. I know I've been in situations where I had my laptop and my iPad and would have benefitted from being able to use both screens at once as controlled by the Mac, but couldn't. There are VPN-style apps that allow for this type of thing, but they run through wifi. Many public routers isolate each client or run too slowly for such solutions to be feasible. If only you could plug the iPad into the computer or have it work over a direct wireless connection...

I don't think it's likely that Apple will add this feature any time soon (if ever), but I'd be happy if they did.

3. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I've used my iPad 4 as a 2nd display for my PC before and it was kind of unsatisfying because 9.7" is too small to use as a monitor. The text was just so small it was hard to read and the zoom is set by the laptop.

4. duetdisplay macrumors newbie

Duet Display

You should give DuetDisplay a try. It makes using a 2nd Display really easy. It even supports retina.

http://www.duetdisplay.com/