iPad as graphics tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by toke lahti, Mar 31, 2014.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

What would be the best app?

(No. I'm not going to buy a wacom or any other traditional graphics tablet, but if ipad works fine, I might get Adonis jot touch 4.)

Prospects:
    iGraphTablet
    Air Display
    Splashtop
    RealVNC
    MochaVNC
    iDisplay
    iScreen
    Screens
    Problem of course is that you have to buy these to test and there's not much comparisons in the net.
    I've tested iGraphTablet and it feels pretty laggy.
    I guess that ideal workflow for me would be, that I have big screen connected to mac and it shows the whole or half of the canvas and ipad shows a quarter or 1/9th or so. That way you could see wider picture on big screen, but more detailed view on ipad.
    iGraphTablet is reasonable when watching mac's screen, but the double delay to ipad's screen is too much.
    Is there any app that could use usb-connection to cut out wifi lag?

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They're all going to be very laggy. Think about why the actual tablets are Bluetooth and USB based to begin with. The latency in wifi is just a huge problem for this certain usage. When I used to use Windows Mobile, you'd have to use the sync wire to do it too.

Air Display and Splashtop will give you the best results out of them all.

I personally use the Intuos Creative Stylus. I had a Jot, just the basic Pro, but the tip is known to damage your screen over time.

4. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm just amazed that there are about dozen of these apps and nobody has done the hard work of using usb for data transfer.

Well, when hdmi-input gets common with other tablets, we know what people will use. One tablet acting as ordinary tablet when needed, field monitor and recorder for video camera when needed and graphics tablet when needed...

5. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Anybody tried this 3.5 years old method and it's still working?
    Did the lag improved significantly?
    (If now, I wouldn't like to waste time for making jb just for this, but my ipad is still using 7.04, so this is possible...)

6. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't mind scratching since I use screen shields anyway, but I'm a bit amazed if Jot does not use soft translucent stickers on the tip, like my Dagis.

7. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Just tested iGraphTablet with usb cable.
    My old iPad is going to my father, so before resetting it, it was handy to test jb and this.
    iGT wasn't much better with usb. Lag was a bit shorter to mac's screen, but there was still way too much lag showing the image back to iPad. Resulting that you can watch mac's screen, but you can't see the cursor, when stylus is moved on ipad. And if you look at iPad, the lag prevents to see what's happening.

Will try free version of Splashtop tonight. Won't buy AiDi just for testing.
    How nice would it be if somebody would test these properly (high-framerate camera, time displayed precisely, lag times scientifically calculated and compared..).

8. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know why, but Splashstop's WiFi Display couldn't connect through usb with same settings and just after using iGraphTablet.
    Can't do any more fiddling, time is up and iPad is going to be reset and handed to next user.
    WiFi Display worked better in that way that it showed cursor when drawing in photoshop, but because of using wifi there was more lag and therefore unusable. That driver for "shadow display" was interesting. Maybe that could be used to make remote display through DLNA...?