Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
hi, experts :)

so i am currently using a gen 4 ipad mini as my home hub. it works pretty well, only problem is that it sometimes fails to automatically reconnect to wifi after a router is rebooted, or something similar happens.

i considered getting an apple tv to use as a home hub instead, but as i have the 2021 sony google tv, it seems that it would be quite redundant.

my question is: is an apple tv superior to an ipad at connecting/reconnecting, or is it pretty much the same. thanks!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it might be a bit better.

Another option would be the HomePod mini. it's cheaper, it will let you yell at Siri to control your HomeKit devices. it also functions as a thread edge router (as is the aTV4k Gen 2, but no other aTV). More and more home automation devices are going with thread, so that would give you a connection to new devices in your system, that's much more reliable than bluetooth.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
it might be a bit better.

Another option would be the HomePod mini. it's cheaper, it will let you yell at Siri to control your HomeKit devices. it also functions as a thread edge router (as is the aTV4k Gen 2, but no other aTV). More and more home automation devices are going with thread, so that would give you a connection to new devices in your system, that's much more reliable than bluetooth.
thanks for your advice! atv4k gen2 is the current model, correct? in other words whether i get the homepod or the current atv — they would both support t.e. atv has very nice screensavers though, the ones on my tv are static :)))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.