IPAD as home theater remote

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cmhsam, Apr 8, 2010.

1. cmhsam macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2008
    I originally bought my iPad as a home theater touchscreen. Just curios if anyone else is using as a HT Remote as well. I use Control4.
  2. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    No but sounds cool. How much does it cost to get Control4 setup at home?
  3. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2008
    i've been using iredtouch with a dedicated ipod touch for a remote. it's nice that any iphone in the house can become an extra remote when needed.

was thinking about this recently, and would probably use the ipad for multitasking while the ipod/iphone acted as a remote.
  4. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2008
    One of the primary reasons I got one was to use it for a remote/wireless keyboard and mouse for the bedroom tv and HTPC. I plan to use iRule with a Global Cache wifi to IR box for IR control and Pad Mouse for keyboard and mouse duty.

I find this thing very easy to type on.
  5. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2008
    You can start off with a basic hc200 controller for about $500. I have a basic system with several tv's, lighting controls at various points in the house, temp control thermostat, security cameras with motion sensors, and the media controller. I thought it was great without a touch panel but with the iPad it takes it to another level. Much better than crestron or am IMHO
  6. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2008
    I had tHe c4 app on my iPhone but the iPad app is much better than the iPhone app but I know what you mean
  7. aohus macrumors 68000

Apr 4, 2010
    take pics of your setup and show us please :)