iPad as hotspot

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Millionaire2K, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Hello. I am new to the entire sim card thing. Ive been with Verizon for over 10 years and I never had a sim card before the iPhone 5 and the Mifi device my friend gave me.

Plan: Mifi is month to month. I have the share everything plan. My iphone 5 hotspot is active at no extra cost with this plan. I cant use the iphone as hotspot as I want hotspot to stay home.

My question: Am I able to take the sim card out of my Verizon mifi (that I pay $20 a month for) and put it in my ipad? Will Verizon then just charge me $10 a month? Could i then switch the sim card back to the mifi whenever and pay $20?

Also will the ipad hotspot feature be active like the iphone 5? And is the ipad a good device to use as a hotspot?

I just dont know why I should keep using the mifi if I could just get an ipad and use that.

Thanks for all the help and info you can provide.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've got a VZ iPad 3 with LTE and the $20/1 GB plan and use it regularly as an hotspot. As such it's much better than my old Virgin Mobile MiFi.

The rest depends heavily on the plan you have with Verizon, and specifically which MiFi you have.

B

3. Millionaire2K thread starter macrumors 6502a

So can I pull the sim card from my mifi and put it in the ipad.

Mifi 4620L
    and ipad 2 or "new"

thanks again.