iPad mini iPad as iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jinxednuance, Nov 10, 2013.

1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Is there a way to make your iPad mini function like an iPhone? My iPad mini has wifi + cellular capability so I was wondering if I can just put the nano sim and do some reconfiguration to have a phoning ability.

Help would be appreciated.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, but there are some apps you can buy so you can talk on your iPad over IP. Some are free, some are paid apps, but I have seen it done.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You can make a FaceTime audio only call to other OSX & iOS owners.

Or you could use Skype or another similar app.

But whatever you do make sure to use a mic or bluetooth ear piece, otherwise you will look a right wally!

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

well the ipad has no earpiece so you'd have to speak to people using a wired or a bluetooth headset. i guess you could use the speaker, but who would want to do that every single time? it's also further complicated from the fact that even though the ipad sim has a phone number attached to it, you can't receive calls or texts with that number. your best bet would be to use a combination of google voice and google hangouts. the former for text messages and checking voicemail, and the latter would be used to make and receive calls.

so i guess it's possible, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

5. powerbooks macrumors regular

Try the app Talkatone (in couple with your Google voice account). I believe it works with iPad as long as you have a earphone with mic.

6. Caithsith macrumors member

I use skype with paid account so i can do unlimited call on any phone (mobile and hard line) in my country for around 4$/month.

7. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Yes you can with Talkatone, and no, one does NOT need an earphone. use iPad as a speaker phone.

8. McRumour macrumors member

It's brilliant.
    I actually downloaded it for use with my iPhone , in order to conserve my limited talk/text minutes....but then decided to try it on my iPad Mini, as well. A total delight.
    Calls are clear as a bell (provided you have a good wi-fi connection).