iPad as live display for DSLR?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sphinx99, Apr 1, 2012.

1. sphinx99 macrumors member

I have a feeling I know the answer, but is there any way that the new iPad can be used as a live display for a DSLR? It would be great for spot-checking focus on shots, live, in a way that I just can't on the camera screen. Has anyone been able to do this in a way that leverages the 2048x1536 display?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are apps, but they need a computer in between the camera and the iPad - and I don't know if they have been updated for retina.

3. abulldog macrumors newbie

I currently have my Eye-fi pro in my Nikon D5100 connected to my iPad. It takes a few seconds to transfer the images, but they display very nice on the ipad. The Eye-fi setup may be a little confusing at first but other than that it's not too complicated. The only problem i have found with it is the ipad cannot be connected to another wi-fi network during transfer. It uses an ad-hoc wi-fi network to transfer the images. Once the images are on the ipad they can be opened in iPhoto or other photo apps. Once you are done with the images you can choose which ones you want to send off to your home network.

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Probably more than you are thinking of, but....

Check out CaptureOne software. The C1 package is RAW convertor, with full editing controls. But not free. As part of the C1 package they have an app that allows you to not just see the scene with the iPad but to control aspects of the picture taking.... if you're camera is supported. Your camera is tethered to your computer with C1 running, and the iPad app then links to C1 on your computer. Haven't tried it - but I've heard it works well. But not cheap.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen a Liveview app yet. They do have a remote though. I'm hoping someone develops this app via the USB camera connector but it seems unlikely. It would be awesome if Hassleblad made one for their medium format cameras. It would rock because their Macbook Pro app for Liveview is just stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Try this: http://www.shuttersnitch.com/

7. ikiss macrumors newbie

Eye-Fi

I'm using the Eye-Fi card.. it works great.. but I don't know how or if it works on the new iPad3 retina display.. anyone ?

Ah ok I just looked over whtrbt7s post and the ShutterSnitch is " Retina Display Ready "

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I have an Eye-Fi but haven't tried it on the new iPad yet. The last software revision says they added support for 'higher resolution screens.'

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

@OP: It might help if you mentioned what DSLR you have.

10. winterny macrumors 6502

I haven't used shutter snitch yet, but the official eye fi app does not properly support the retina display yet. Images from my 5d mark 3 show up in Retina when in the initial full screen mode, but if you zoom in at all, you can see pixels. In other words, it's only rendering the 3 megapixels of the iPad screen, and just making those pixels bigger if you zoom in. The extra 19million pixels are just throw away. From what I read, shutter snitch renders the full image.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

You lucky b*****d.

12. sphinx99 thread starter macrumors member

Canon 1D4 and a 7D.

The Capture One idea is interesting, I have to check that out!