iPad as Mac keyboard input?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iZac, Aug 3, 2010.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Sure it's been tabled many times, but I was watching First Contact the other day (yes, total nerd here) and ... well I wondered if someone could / has developed an app for the iPad to act as a slave keyboard input to a desktop / laptop computer.

It could do the job of switching languages, flick from qwerty to azerty and dvorak etc, do multi touch gestures, create custom photoshop tool buttons, basically act like a £400 Optimus Maxiumus.

...or much more nerdy it could be an LCARS input, full of bleeps and bloops (i know there are already Apps like the STARSS rss reader etc)

Oh yes and I know many think it would be pretty stupid to use a "nearly full size" tactile-less glass plate as a keyboard rather than ... well a keyboard, so be polite :)

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

A VNC client will give you not only a nice keyboard (no idea on the layout options), but also mouse control thrown in for free.

3. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Indeed, I know there are things like Air display, not too sure how swift the feedback is on those, it's worth considering though.

I think there could be a market for something that gives you a low lag, dedicated custom keyboard, or Adobe toolbox with finger friendly sized buttons.

I should mention, I don't own an iPad (yet), I'm weighing up things like this and art/canvas Apps before I take the plunge on a new toy. I'm more excited about how an iPad can enhance my desktop Mac experience, than using it as a stand alone device.

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I use Mobile Air Mouse Pro on my iPhone (it works with iPad too) to control everything on my iMac via my wifi network. Can be used as a keyboard, trackpad, media controller, itunes controller, even shows your Mac's dock and can tailor scripts for it. It's quite neat, and no lag whatsoever. I use it all the time when I'm on the couch and have my MBP hooked up to the TV. You just need to run the server on your Mac, and install the app on your iPhone/iPad.

5. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Oh excellent, good start! I'll have to tinker with the iPhone version, see what it offers. Cheers!