iPad as photography portfolio

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gr8fl4295, Mar 28, 2010.

1. gr8fl4295 macrumors member

I've read some blogs about this.
    And it definitely sounds cool, especially if I want to show multiple portfolios and/or a video reel of my work.
    My main concern is, how would I keep the client that I show this iPad to, or leave with, from playing with it, rather than view the portfolio?
    As far as I know, I don't thin there is a way to hide, lock, or turn off apps.
    The person viewing the iPad could access email, address book, etc.

How could I only show the portfolio?

Thoughts?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

By showing him the portfolio you want him to see. Then take it back from him when you're done.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

easy enable the parental controls that are already in the iPhone OS. Disable all the built in apps except the photo viewer.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. Maximillian macrumors 6502

I think this would only work if you're with the person. You couldn't leave it with someone and expect them not to play.

Or put it in a case that covers the home button.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I still think a laptop works better. Something that can be set on a table/desk and be viewed, with the iPad the client would have to hold the thing while viewing your portfolio. As I client I would not be to keen on having to either hold it the entire time or have you hold it for me.

7. DrummerB macrumors member

I think on jailbreaken iPhones one can hide any app. So if the iPad can be jailbreaked, you could try that.

8. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Buy a client specific iPad that you can use for nothing but showing your portfolios. You can write it off at the end of the year as a business expense too.

9. and.sleepless macrumors member

I had this idea in mind for so long and it's nice to see I'm not the only one.

But why would you leave a client alone with your Ipad? I'm not sure about you, but I'm using mine for critiques and personal use. I think the same would apply to you though, but wouldn't you sit with your client to get feed back on things they like/dislike in your photographs?

10. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

Vincent Laforet posted about this on his blog:

"I’ve ordered quite a few of them today. I plan on converting my entire portfolio to the digital format with these - both still & motion. As many of you know - most art buyers these days pretty much demand that commercial photographers send their portfolios out in a printed book format. So while I can’t ditch that approach just yet - nothing is stopping me from including an iPad in that book as well to share not only stills, but also the video / multimedia work that I’ve done in the past 2-3 years. I’ve been waiting to do this for years - waiting for the perfect device - and I think that this will work perfectly - and allow me to send customized portfolios to clients as well for specific jobs. This is a lot more eco friendly (not to mention easier and cheaper to ship!) current, and dynamic way to show one’s work… I will of course offer to send “just” the iPad if art buyers are into it - but I doubt that the printed portfolio is done just yet…"

Maybe send him a polite email - ask him what his solution is going to be

11. ScottFreeSBP macrumors newbie

There is a portfolio application by a company called "Britton Photography" available in the app store that amongst other features allows you to lock the management interface below the portfolio display with a pin code.

I'm still deciding how best to attack this, whether I design a keynote presentation, purchase one of the 10 or so apps available or some other method, but I think its preferable where possible to sit there with them so they can ask questions regarding your images, they might see something you've done previously and it may spark a reaction which you can kind of sell to.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Coming at this from another direction.

Why bother with an iPad which is overkill for the job.

What about a digital photoframe that can display your photo's and also video if you get the right model.

Probably be a dam sight easier to organise your photo's how you like them on a photo frame. The iPad is know to be a pain in the backside to order photo's how you want them.

13. poloponies, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010

poloponies macrumors 68030

If you read the post preceding yours he identifies an app which is suited to the task and overcomes the things you complain about.

http://ipadportfolioapp.com/

If you read the post preceding yours he identifies an app which is suited to the task and overcomes the things you complain about.

http://ipadportfolioapp.com/

As for overkill, he's not buying it just for the portfolio feature. If he already has it with him then bringing an extra photo frame would be the overkill.

14. KrisEagling macrumors member

KrisEagling

I thought i'd share my experience with you :)

In my spare time I do some professional photography and yes I do use my 16gb wifi iPad as a portfolio/viewer.
    I use the camera connection kit and upload photos on the fly to show the client the images to see if they like it or want a different shot or something changed.

Also you can use it as a digital portfolio and just enable all the restrictions besides the photo viewing app, but also if you want you can just having nothing too personal on the iPad that you wouldn't care if a client looked at or had access too.

Happy Snapping :)
    Kris

15. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

Agreed. I use the iPad to take to client meetings for portfolio design samples and can use the wifi if a web sample need to be shown. Have never really left it in the hands of the client though ;-)

16. XaviB macrumors newbie

I have 3 porfolios which take up a lot of time to maintain.
    I have bought an iPad to experiment on, since this will save a lot of time and money on prints!
    I have bought many different portfolio apps, but none really work well.... untill just now I have downloaded xtrafolio portfolio app.
    It lets me customize all, add my look and feel and protects my images, the settings are password protected as well.

I can safely send the iPad to a client (which I have not done yet.... waiting for the right candidate I guess) point is, that when you are serious about showing your work the right way, you should take the step, get an iPad. :)
    Also a good website with help etc www.xtrafolio.com
    I am thinking of replacing all my portfolio's.... guess I will wait for the new iPad... anybody have any idea when that will be.

Good luck
    :apple:

17. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

If you're going to be sending it to/leaving it with clients you shouldn't be using it as your own personal iPad anyway so this is kind of irrelevant.
    As long as they get round to looking at your portfolio at some point what is the problem with them playing a little Fruit Ninja or something? :D
    If you are really concerned about this then the iPad probably isn't what you need for this purpose.

18. jobyrose macrumors newbie

The iPad is the ultimate way to display your photographic portfolio to your clients..i am also using ipad for the same cause but i never leave my ipad with the clients.. sit next to them so that i can get their views about the pics.. also i am using the Sort shots app which helps me to create a slideshow with music..its makes my presentation much more better & clients are very happy with that..the best feature in that app is that whenever i transfer my pics to ipad they are saved in the same sequence as they were saved my computer etc.. :apple: :)

19. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Graphic Designers are also using the iPad to replace their old traditional portfolio to show off their print work. Not to mention its a whole lot more convenient and much easier to update and manage.

20. Miles513 macrumors newbie

I was on Zagg's website a while back, they have an interesting looking Alternate Case that includes a stand.