iPad as Storage for Photography

Discussion in 'iPad' started by classicaliberal, May 30, 2012.

1. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

For those of you using the iPad as additional storage for your photo shoots or vacations, etc. what does your process look like? Are you using the iPad to actually edit the photos, or just save them to move back to your main computer? Where does the iPad store the original files, and do they sync right back to iPhoto once home?

2. idufour macrumors member

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Makes little sense to use the iPad as storgae for photos. You can get a 32GB SD card for $20-$30 nearly any day. So for $40-$60 you can get more storage than the highest-capacity iPad can hold (because you're also conpeting with apps and other media on the iPad). And if you're shooting 64GB of photos on vacation -- well, that's another story.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I agree, it's not the best solution for storage.

I have an eye-Fi card in my camera, so as I take photos they're auto uploaded to photobucket (as well as to my desktop). I use the photobucket app to browse, then download some to my iPad for editing and reuploading to share or print.

5. qCzar macrumors regular

I use an EyeFi card which will store the photos then send them to my iPad when the corresponding app is active and within range or on the same network.

For family vacations the only benefit to putting your photos on your iPad is for email/Facebook/blog, but the iPad also makes a great way to display photos as your photographing or at the end of the day/vacation for sharing and/or beaming to an Apple TV.

Editing isn't bad. Snapseed does all the stuff I need it to, then some. Crop, selective adjustments, color filters for B&W. It even can do some photo tricks like tilt shift, texture overlays and a bit more.

6. EthanMiller macrumors member

Let me first say, that while I am a photographer, I am not an iPad owner.

However, if I did have one, it would likely come with me on my excursions. It wouldn't be storage; that's what SD cards are for. It would be more like backup. If I copy the photos off the SD cards onto my Mac and my theoretical iPad, that's another place the photos are safe.

It also makes a great photo viewer. I've been biased with photoshop, and I have an Air, so the editing on iPad seems unnecessary. That said, I try to get it so that photos can be as they come off the camera, but that's just me. (Editing is fun...)

7. idufour macrumors member

Its a good option for me to see your photos in a large more accurate diplay, dont you think? I agree that storage in ipad is expensive, but if you paired with a wi-drive?