Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
My mother is looking into getting an ipad for her and my step-father to share (his laptop is on it's last legts and he doesnt need a full computer anyway.) She loves her appleTV and was wondering if there was a way to go the other direction with it, so that she would watch TV in bed with it. I didn't have a clear answer to this.

She has AT&T Uverse, so I played with the Uverse app and found some previous episodes and recorded DVR content should stream over the network just fine. She already knows her itunes movies and netflix will work, but she is looking at actual, live TV.

Short of getting a slingbox and having one more device to teach her to use (not to mention actually purchase) is there an easy way to do this?

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
What channels is she interested in watching? And who is providing her tv?

With directv and HDDVR it is possible on some channels, the major players however NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS seem to block their prime time shows. There is ABC app that will allow you to watch the next day for free....

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
TWC and DirecTV both have live streaming apps. I use the latter, and it is an excellent experience. It even doubles as an impressive remote with guide when you just need the big screen. I would think if you didn't want go with either of the aforementioned services then a SlingBox would be your only recourse.

Also, many networks have their own apps that let you watch delayed content for free, which is nice: NBC, ABC, etc...

Apart from that, all you can rely on is Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc...

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
What channels is she interested in watching? And who is providing her tv?

With directv and HDDVR it is possible on some channels, the major players however NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS seem to block their prime time shows. There is ABC app that will allow you to watch the next day for free....

AT&T Uverse.

bajaracing

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
i use mine all the time when I'm working on projects outside. I'm on COX cable. Works Awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.