iPad at school

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jull, Nov 29, 2010.

1. jull macrumors member

jull

Hi all! I currently own an iPad. I was skeptical at first if I should get it or not. After having it 5 months I am happy I decided to buy it! However, I am one of those people that don't like to take out my iPad whenever I'm at school. One reason is, I don't want people to think I'm 'showing off'. I go to a college where I see less fortunate people that struggle and I don't want them to talk bad of me. I look at it both ways, if I didn't have one, I would be dreaming of having one to be using it at school. Since I do have it, I don't take it out and use it as much as I want to at school. How does everyone else handle this? Do you take out your iPad whenever/ wherever? :)

2. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

1. You should use it. Especially if it will help improve your grades or make things easier. Whatever tools you have at your disposal should be fully utilised. Don't handicap yourself.

2. Your feelings are understandable but by not using your iPad you aren't helping anybody. Why not do some volunteer work around campus or in the local area. Do something that will make a direct impact on those less fortunate than yourself.

3. moomog macrumors member

I read on my iPad at work. At first people used to ask what it is and I would give them a quick demo, but now no one bothers to mention it.

4. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I hate to sound like a broken record but, school is important. Use the tools you've got. I live in a rural midwestern area, some of these kids need help printing a paper from the school computer lab, some are too poor to have ever afforded a computer, some could easily afford it but have never owned one. Now that's a slim minority, but it still exists.

Next semester I'm bringing my iPad, I've got some buddies who did this last semester and yeah, people would laugh at him using his "Giant iPod" to take notes or whatever, and a few sneers about him being showoffy. Ironically, nobody says anything about the kids with their $2000 gaming laptops. (Seriously though... THATS silly, a 19" laptop with no battery as a school laptop? For the price, you could do what I did, build a quick gaming rig, and then buy a cheap but functional laptop that's actually PORTABLE. Maybe I'm just different but do you absolutely need your gaming on the go? It can't wait until you get home?)

-John

5. jull thread starter macrumors member

jull

You are right, people don't say much about gaming PC's or other expensive stuff that students bring around. I guess I will start using my iPad more freely!

6. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

It's hard not to look a like a show-off.. regardless what we do.

Use it and if people are curious show them. :D

You have a great heart, like someone suggested maybe you can volunteer or something. Only an hour a week or so. :)

7. jull thread starter macrumors member

jull

Yeah, I'm thinking about volunteering at the Children's hospital down the street. Hopefully I can start in January :D

8. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I bring my iPad to school, and I love it. I am trying to use my iPad in more classes, right now I use it in science and math, to take notes, and it works really well. I don't really think that my english and history teachers will like the use of an iPad in class, I don't think that they would allow it.

My iPad has really help me stay organized and I also like that I'm not using as much paper because of it. My goal is to eventually become completely paperless.

People in my classes are really annoying and constantly ask me to borrow it, so they can play games on it. They think its funny to hit the home button when I'm taking notes, so I have to relaunch the application. They also always ask me how much it costs and tell me how I'm dumb to bring it to school because it will get stolen. People are just generally really annoying about it, and it draws a lot of unnecessary attention to me in class.

I love my iPad and eventually hope that one day every student will have an iPad, and paper will be eliminated altogether, trees never deserved it. :)