iPad <--audio/MIDI --> DAW?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quixotic, Feb 13, 2012.

1. quixotic macrumors regular

Anybody doing this? If so how? Right now, I have a camera connection kit, a USB-to-midi cable, and an 1/8" stereo jack going to the i/o ports on my sound card. Seems a bit bulky with a lot of converting going on.

Be cool to just connect the iPad straight into USB and have it show up in Logic Pro to send/receive MIDI and audio...

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

3. quixotic thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing. Very few of those devices have a digital i/o, let alone digital i/o plus MIDI. The one or two that do, have mic pre's, headphone, L/R RCA's etc. which could be useful, but not for me. The best I've seen to date is this:
    http://tascam.com/product/iu2/

But still, it seems weird to take all the data off the iPad (essentially via a USB connection), convert it to standard MIDI and SPDIF, then plug those signals right back into another sound card, which converts it back to a data stream which goes into an USB port. Seems like a whole lot of running in circles to get a Mac to trade data with an iPad. I'd love to cut out the middle man.

4. wilycoder macrumors 6502

Get the TouchOSC app. Learn about the OSC protocol if you don't already.

5. bobobenobi macrumors regular

6. quixotic thread starter macrumors regular

Basically I want to use the iPad as a sound source (various iPad synths) with performances played on the iPad, or with external controllers controlling the iPad. I will be playing the iPad in realtime, while monitoring it thru Logic where I can apply FX, hear it in the mix etc. So hifi, low latency for midi & audio i/o.

7. champ01 Guest

Have a reason for a second iPad for...

[​IMG]

And a third iPad...

[​IMG]

The best studio mic which can be powered by the iPhone and iPad
    [​IMG]

8. quixotic thread starter macrumors regular

If I could...

I'd just have this:
    [​IMG]

Where my iPad connects to the Mac with the dock-connector-usb cable and the only thing I'd have to buy is maybe an iOS app.