iPad auto update time

Discussion in 'iPad' started by archdelux, Apr 22, 2011.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

Just traveled to a different area code with my new iPad for the first time and was disappointed to find that the iPad didn't automatically adjust the time and didn't even have a setting to do so!

Is there a way to configure this?

Is this a difference between wifi vs 3G iPads? Seems like a gross oversight by apple..

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

As I understand it, only the 3G version has the ability to reflect the correct time - it takes its clue from mobile network towers (which often all that accurate).

3. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

I would think for how advanced the iPad is, it could at least display the correct time..

Any fixes for this or only after jail broken?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just tried this on my iPod touch, but it should work the same on an iPad.

Settings app > General > Date&Time > Time Zone

Search for and enter your current time zone, and the clock auto-adjusts to your location.

5. Cubsfan macrumors member

Is it 3G? If not, did you connect it to a wifi network or two?

If you don't do that, I'm not sure how exactly you expect it to know what the current time is. In order to know the current time in your location, it needs to know your location, and the only way it's going to get that is if it has 3G, GPS, or you connect it to a wifi network which happens to be listed in Apple's (maybe SkyHook's?) database. Also, I'd expect that you'd need location services turned on as well.

6. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, yes of course I had it connect to a wifi network and location services was on...for some reason it seems that The wifi iPad doesn't do it for some reason unless I am missing something?

7. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I can do it manually like u said, but it didn't auto adjust even after coming to the east coast using the web wi wifi with location services on..I'll try it again when I g back home to see if it auto adjusts but seems like it might be a known bug per the comment above..

8. Night Spring, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I thought you said you couldn't find the setting to change the time zone?

EDIT: After some googling I found the following setting:
    Settings app > Mail, Calendars, Contacts > Time Zone Support

Check it to see if it is turned on. Also, some people are reporting that they sometimes need to reboot their device (turn it completely off then back on) before the time zone change takes effect.

9. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh sorry maybe I was unclear..no I was just talking about the device detecting the time zone and adjusting. Thanks..will reboot and check it out..my mail settings were on though..

10. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

No luck..was recently in another time zone and again had to manually chage the time... is there a solution to this or something i am missing? 'time zone support' is turned on... shouldnt this "just work"?

11. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

Having the iPad "just work" like that would be a mistake. Unfortunately not everyone uses good networking practice, and while your connection may be in, say, the Eastern time zone it could actually hit the backbone in the Central time zone and it would report that you're there.

There's just no 100% accurate way to determine time zones on Wifi, therefore there would be a higher chance of the device reporting the wrong time. Remember not only does it have to "just work" it has to "just work" correctly!

12. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

If this helps at all. iOS 4.x does not auto update time for the iPad.

I have been beta testing iOS 5 and it now allows the iPad to auto-update the time and time zone automatically once connected to Wi-Fi (I assume 3G as well but do not have a 3G iPad).

Hope this helps. Just hold out until fall and you won't have the annoying time problems.