iPad Backlight Bleeding Serial # Tracking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mike84, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

It was suggested by a few in the other thread, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to see if there is a particular group of iPad that do not have bleeding.

So, if you could please provide the following:

Serial #: first couple numbers should suffice

Color: White or Black

Wifi vs. 3G: AT&T or Verizon

Backlight bleeding: Yes or No

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

People need to get over this, just like the iPhone 4 and the supposed antenna issue, if you don't like it return it.

3. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think this is a good idea because this is an actual problem with people posting pictures of their defective iPads.

4. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

The antenna issue wasn't really an issue, for me, as I'm right handed. However, with this issue everyone can see it, in certain circumstances. And, watching movies (especially with the software low-contrast bug) looks crap: you'll get comments like this: "I didn't know that Arnold Schwarzenegger had a yellow face. Or, "what's that yellow light in the bottom corner? Is it an alien? Is it a torch? No. It's the yellow bleeding issue - it's supposed to pitch black."

Apple is crap at testing their products: they went through all those testing things for the iPhone 4, and they couldn't find the antenna issue? The only way I see it is they didn't have a left handed person use it; or, they ignored it.

But with the iPad 2, they've had complaints about the iMac's displays for the last 2 years, and they haven't fixed that so there wasn't much change of them finding this issue. Don't they look at the displays before sending them out? It looks hideous. Maybe I'm just used to my perfect super-AMOLED which is brighter, has better contrast, no blacklight bleeding and it just beautiful. I'd rather have a super AMOLED display on the next iPad than a retina display; well, actually I'd rather have a super-AMOLED, e-ink switching, retina display, but, you know.

5. nealh macrumors 6502

Thx for the helpful post. If it's not an issue for you great.

6. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

This is a great idea, but we'll need to figure out how the serial numbers work. I remember when there was a big issue with the original iPod Touch screens there was a similar thread and it was easy to work out which batch each unit was from because the third and fourth characters in the serial were the week number, e.g. 38 was week 38. The iPad 2 serial number seems to be all letters, so it might be tricky to keep track unless people are willing to post their serials and when they bought it which could give us enough data to help work out what character means what, but I doubt people are willing to do that :(

7. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Just have to point out that, as long as the screen has a backlight, it will NEVER be pitch black.

I don't have a backlight bleeding issue with my iPad 2. That said, I had to go out of my way to test it as I wanted to see what the fuss was about. If it affects your movie watching (and any other everyday use), take it to the genius bar. If it doesn't hinder your every day use, then you're just being a fusspot.

8. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Exactly, if you can't see the bleeding at half brightness, when it's dark, then it becomes a none issue; if you have to put it at full brightness (which would blind you) to see the bleeding then, again, it's a "non-issue". However, if you can see it at quarter brightness, or even half-brightness, when watching a movie, at night time (which I do, especially with overnight plane trips) then it's a problem. But, I would love a OLED, or a differently marketed name of super-AMOLED plus, on the iPad 3.

9. gigabella macrumors member

mine are seen at 0% brightness level....what say you?