iPad Backup File

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rmv221, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Rmv221 macrumors newbie

When the iPad backs up thru iTunes and it creates a file. Does it overwrite the file next time it backs it up? or does it create another file with another date? If it rewrites over the existing file where is it located?

If it creates another file, where in your computer if this file so I can delete the previous ones. I bet they take a lot of room.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It overwrites previous backups, at least the ones that have changed. The ones that haven't changed, it just leaves them there. There's no need to go and delete previous backups, there's only one copy of everything.

3. Rmv221, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

Rmv221 thread starter macrumors newbie

in what file folder will this be and do you have the option of changing the directory? I would like to delete the older files to save room on my computer.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

http://apple-ipad-tablet-help.blogspot.com/2010/03/ipad-backup-location.html

As far as I know, there isn't a way to change the location. And if it wasn't clear in my earlier post, there aren't any "older files" you can delete. iTunes overwrites any files that were changed, and leaves the files that weren't changed untouched. Every single file in that folder is needed for you to have a complete and uncorrupted backup.