Ipad Backup on a TC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kfire12, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Kfire12 macrumors newbie

I am new to MacRumors and I would like to say that this site is one of the most knowledgeable I have come across. In the past year I have become a complete Mac convert from PC. My own home network work has become completely Mac based! with the exception of a couple of Windows servers which will be replaced soon :). So to the point, I work as a network administrator and my company has finally started to incorporate MAC into our infrastructure.

My question is, does anyone know, or have played around with backing up an IPAD on a Timecapsule?

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

There's no direct way to back up an iPad on a Time Capsule, because like other iOS devices, it's not a standalone computer. What you would want to do instead is this:
    • Attach your iPad to the computer it's normally synced to, then open iTunes and perform Backup on the iPad.
    • Your iPad's contents (apps, files, anything not saved elsewhere in your iTunes library) and settings are now on the computer.
    • If that computer is a Mac (and you say yours is), run Time Machine on that Mac to the Time Capsule.

Voila! Your backups are now saved on Time Capsule, should you ever need to rebuild the Mac you sync your iPad to.

In future Mac OS X versions, we might see a Time Machine app for the iPad that would allow direct backup to a Time Capsule. That's a pretty big "might", however.