iPad Backup/Restore

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AppleInLVX, Aug 10, 2013.

1. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Hi all, I just want someone to tell me if I've got this right:

So my mother is headed overseas for a few months, and she's told me that I can make use of her iPad mini (the idea is I want to see how it fits into my life so I know if it'd be worth getting one in the fall for myself).

The question I have is, if I do a full-on backup of her iPad to her Mac, can I then take the iPad, hook it up to MY iMac, do a full restore to factory defaults and use it as I would my own for three or four months, and then when she returns, be able to simply restore it to its original state from the backup I made to her system?

As I understand it, I think this should work, but I wanted someone else to say I'm good before I wipe mom's iPad. :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, that should work. Just in case, I'd make a backup of the backup -- see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946 for where the backup files are on your computer, and copy the folder to somewhere else.

3. AppleInLVX thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Thank you very much for answering my question!:D I will make a redundant backup as you suggest.