iPad Backup Woes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macman45, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Hi all. So my friends ipad1 became unstable, and I was forced to return it to factory defaults which went fine.

Then I restored his apps from the store and added his old backup with music, photos etc. That went fine.

Great inthought, just sync it and all will. E well, BUT it won't backup or sync it just sits in iTunes withe the wheel spinning saying backing upnstep one of 6.

I think it's an iTunes issue, but don't want to uninstall it if I don't have to.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

You don't say if you are using a Mac or PC with iTunes. Apparently, iTunes works well on the Mac but is quite balky on a PC.

I have a PC and periodicallly have the same issues as you are describing. I've deleted and re-installed iTunes numerous times. Eventually, I discovered a couple issues that, when corrected, helped.

There were some problems involving photo sync. iTunes apparently didn't like having to search for my photo file, so I put the photo file on my desktop and directed the sync to that.

ALSO, I had to delete the videos that weren't MP4 format. That froze the sync.

AND, I have to do any updates on my laptop and then sync to my desktop where the iPad/iPhone is based.

I'll be SOOO glad to have OTA sync. iTunes has been a headache.

4. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

He Is Using

A windows 7 64 bit machine. The iPad is fine, as are the cables (tested with my ipad2) Also, iTunes on his PC will not open the iTunes store....I think iTunes is fried on his machine, but would like to try a repair install rather than start from scratch (he is not the brightest bubble in the tub and will have to do it on the phone.)

5. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I can relate to trying to fix something over the phone with someone who struggles with tech stuff. Has he/she updated the iTunes app? There have been several updates in the last month or so as iOS5 and iCloud approach. When all is said and done, until you delete and reinstall iTunes, I don't think you can go much further. Also, I haven't seen an option to repair iTunes, although it may be there.

I, too, am working with Win7 64-bit. Oh, that's another thing - there are 32 and 64-bit versions of iTunes downloads. It's easy to accidently download and install the wrong one.

Also, if you download and save the latest version, you can just re-install using the saved file rather than going through the entire 40 minute download process each time. Hope this helps.

6. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Checked The Version

Its the 64 bit (correct one) If i tell him to go to add remove and hit iTunes, will he be given a repair option? or will it just remove the application. I've never had any problems with iTunes so have never had to try this. If it comes down to reinstallation I will have to go over there, he won't manage on his own. I even hold all his passwords here in case he loses them....Poor chap:) He's a great guy really....fantastic cameraman just C*** with technology. I wouldn't be surprised if he has installed something iffy I clean his PC out a couple of times a month and I tell him NOT to download C*** but he say's "I don't know where that came from":)

7. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

When I've re-installed iTunes, i use the Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features ... and delete the iTunes program there (careful - one click will uninstall whatever is under the curser).

Then I reboot my PC, go online and download the latest iTunes (save it), launch the download to install. Have never done an uninstall/re-install via iTunes itself. As a matter of fact, I think the only thing you can do through iTunes is update the program (Help > Check for Updates)

Checking for an update might be an easy first step because if there's an update needed, it may be the problem. After that, it's unistall/download/reinstall. The download is time-consuming and might be something you could walk the person through over the phone. After that, though, I'd guess it's visit time.

8. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks Both

Its up to date so my conclusion is that its fried......Oh well, I will try and get over there and install a fresh copy, cleaning out any garbage he's managed to accumulate. At least I have his passwords so I can retrieve all his stuff. The iPad works fine. I HATE WINDOWS:D