iPad Backup

Discussion in 'iPad' started by engelke2010, Jul 9, 2011.

1. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Where can I find my iPad backups? In iTunes, I looked under Edit/Preferences/Devices and the only things there were old iPhone backups from last summer and fall. There are no backups for either my iPhone4 or either my iPads since then. Also, I read where you used to be able to right click (I'm a Windows user) and manually back up, but I don't see that option either. Whenever I have had to restore my iPad in the past, I always had to select new because there were no backups available. What am I doing wrong and how can I actually backup and not just sync?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

in Windows XP, the location is

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

in Windows Vista, Windows 7:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

3. engelke2010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only things that were there were old iPhone backups from last summer and fall. Do you know why nothing since then are showing up?

4. engelke2010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can someone please help me with this? It's a little frustrating that there are no backups. I don't want to always have to create as new every time I would want to restore.

5. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Are you sure the devices are getting backed up every time you sync? If so, there's no reason they wouldn't be there.

6. engelke2010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Strangely enough, there definitely had been no back up since last Fall. After doing a lot of Googling of the subject, I found the answer in another forum. I removed the iTunesPrefs.xml file from both Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes and Local/Apple Computer/iTunes while iTunes was shut down and the iDevices not hooked up. Once I hooked them up, they both backed up and everything was fine. I don't know what happened with the Preferences files, but that doesn't matter now.

7. yegon, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

yegon macrumors 68020

Question - how big, under normal circumstances, should an iPad backup be? The backup (in library\application support\mobile sync) for my 64gb weighs in at about 40+gb, that can't be right can it?

edit: Aah, I think I know whats going on. I jailbroke it today just to test it out, then decided to go back to non-JB. Done a full restore and I suspect the backup procedure is now seeing all the videos I have on there for AVplayerHD (that it normally ignores) and copying those too. I'll delete all my vids and re-install AVplayer I reckon, that should hopefully solve it.