iPad backup

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darkandlong, Sep 6, 2011.

1. darkandlong macrumors member

darkandlong

Is there a way to backup all of the files that I create with my various ipad apps that doesn't involve going from app to app in itunes and dragging the files to a backup folder?

For example I have many Omnigraffle files on my ipad. The only way I can back them up is to attach my iPad, go to the apps tab and copy all of the files somewhere. This seems like an inefficient way to do it. It seems that even when I sync, iTunes doesn't copy these files onto my MBP.

2. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Normal iTunes backup during sync backs up all your app data. In future iCloud backup will do the same.

3. darkandlong thread starter macrumors member

darkandlong

Thanks for replying. Excuse my ignorance, but where can I find the Application Data on my MBP?

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

^ This. I use PhoneView on the Mac to manage this sort of thing for certain apps. There are others, but this one has been the most versatile and reliable for me. You can download the trial version and see if it will suit your needs.

That said, I've also gotten very picky about what productivity apps I put on the iPad. If it doesn't have a built-in function for OTA sync outside of iTunes--preferably with Dropbox--I'll bypass it and buy another that does. Being forced to rely on iTunes' ridiculously cumbersome methods for removing my own data from the device is just ludicrous, and it's a surefire way of guaranteeing I won't have access to that data when I need it most.

Same thing with apps I use on both the iPhone and iPad. They need to stay synced, preferably without my intervention, but I'll still take a manual wifi sync over using nothing but iTunes to manage documents, etc.

You might also contact OmniGroup about plans to include this kind of functionality in future updates. At their prices, it's a little silly that they haven't built this in already.