iPad backups take forever! Bring on 4.2 already..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by css1323, Nov 4, 2010.

1. css1323 macrumors regular

I say, I'll turn 25 by the time my iPad finishes backing up! Geez. Hopefully with 4.2, it'll speed things up. Can't wait for that long awaited update.

Why does the backup process take so long? It's madness! And here I am making a pointless thread about it.

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

How often do you sync? I have over 100 apps on my iPad and I backup and sync in under 3 minutes every time. I also sync probably 6 times a week too though.

If it's been a long time between syncs, it takes a LOT longer. There was also an issue with Zinio causing syncs to run long, but I've got the latest update of Zinio and I don't have long sync issues.

Are you running any apps that might be hung or have to transfer a lot of data?

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yeah, I have 10 pages of Apps, lots of data files (Pages, Numbers, Goodreader, etc)

Takes about 3-4 minutes to Backup/Sync. I sync once every two weeks, sometimes three weeks between syncs. I mostly sync, just to have a backup.

While I'm working on documents, I'll save them to MobileMe or iWork.Com, so I don't much worry about work in progress getting lost.

Check your USB, make sure it's USB 2.0, and not 1.1 or going through some USB hub that kills your speed. Try a different USB port, some computers have some ports on internal hubs etc.

The machine I sync with is a pretty old 2006 iMac. So, even a slow machine shouldn't hold you back.