Ipad Baseband for unlocking-- What are the exact risks?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Inkllicious, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Inkllicious macrumors regular

And the reason I'm not "Googling" is because not a lot of the websites are completely "Up to date" with downgrading, and this, and that, and the next thing-- And just for the fact I seem to get straight answers.

What are the complete risks?

Can I still use 3.1.3 firmware, Whited00r specifically.

Can my carrier "Sense" anything different? (They're real picky and I don't need some email asking for an Ipad plan..)

Can you downgrade back to a lower baseband?

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Loss of GPS. GPS would only function over WI-Fi on my 3G.

Void your warranty (until a baseband higher than 6.15 is released).

Can never restore to stock firmware again. You must make a custom ipsw to restore with.

No you can't downgrade the baseband.

Never heard of whitedoor. Ask your carrier directly if they "sense" anything.

3. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Slightly incorrect, but I think you make your point.

The GPS function might not work (might be the key word). However if your phone has 3G and/or wireless it will still be able to get a location, just not as accurate. Because with the iPhone it uses GPS first, then 3G towers and then wifi to determine its location.

I've got two friends that I did the ipad baseband update to. One phone the GPS works fine and the other it does not.

Matt

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I KNOW exactly what is wrong with my phone thanks. GPS doesn't work over 3G. Don't dismiss the problem I'm having just because YOU haven't experienced it yourself.

OP wanted to know what the risks are and I told him.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yes, and it is the whole point of using that baseband in the phone, for the unlock.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The original post was correct. GPS does not work period. The GPS chip in the Ipad is different than the Iphone and not compatible with the 6.15 baseband.

Location data has three methods of working (1). GPS (2) Cell Towers (3) WIFI triangulation.

Location data does work on Cell towers and Wifi triangulation.

You would have been correct if you said location data works. However, GPS does not work.

8. Inkllicious thread starter macrumors regular

I'm still highly considering it. I'm going to look into Telus a bit more and if i seem to like it, I may invest into it. I have a seperate GPS system for my car, so not a big loss- its not like I have a dataplan anyway

Thanks contributers :3

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There's also companies selling a permanent unlock (i.e., your phone will be listed as unlocked in Apple's db). It's expensive.